Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got done w/ a timing belt & turbo replacement on '98 B5. I have never worked on a car with so many sharp edges. I have also never worked on a vehicle that had such a vast assortment of fastener types. 3 sizes of torx, 3 sizes of allen heads, straight slot screws, phillips heads and 7, 10, 12, 13, 14, 17 & 19mm hexes.

I've worked on mostly Japanese cars which use 10, 12, 14 & 17mm hexes, phillips heads and not much else. Am I spoiled?

I'll give them clever points for mounting the radiator/ac condensor etc on a frame that un hooks & slides forward for access. But an F for keeping the fasteners simple and F for removing burs and sharp edges from castings & other parts.

Curious to hear other's opinions.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
You ain't seen nothing yet... try french cars. First you will find that almost nothing in your tool box can be used for rest you will not have nerves.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I remember stories about my uncle's Peugeot. It was back in 70s and it was one of first import cars in our city (Soviet Union, back then). Anyway, he had to custom manufacture tools for things like oil change, spark plug replacement, etc. ;) It's the way they make it in Europe :) Should get Lada. To fully restore the car you need 10, 12 and 14 hex and sledge hammer. Well, may be a screwdriver would help here and there, but knife will work too.

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,267 Posts
Welcome to the wonderfully arcane world of German engineering. Just like the Tiger tank in WWII, which was the superior tank but took so long to build and was so hard to maintain that the Allied tanks overwhelmed it...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
Rusty
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing