Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, after following development of all big turbo kits for about a year and-a-half, the releases on most of the kits is so close I can taste it. Keep in mind I use the word "kit" VERY liberally.

I actually got to the point where my mind was made up on what EXACTLY I was getting. I'm going to piece together my setup, and tune in locally.

From www.Full-Race.com I'm getting their brand new tubular manifold that mates up perfectly with a GT3017R turbo. They swayed me against the GT28RS (the current turbo to beat) because they called it a "miss-match" the compressor is too small for the turbine or vice-versa. (can't remember which) they say the 28 is "too small" for a 1.8T and more suited for a 1.6L car. When I asked them about the trade off of spooltime Vs. the GT28, they said that the NEW GT30 spools just about as fast (full spool by 4K) as the 28, but with a MUCH higher HP ceiling.

Okay enough about that.

I can get the DP, and Turbo lines pretty cheaply, and a set of 440cc injectors as well.

Nextly, the standalone system I plan to use on it is going to be released shortly. by www.hydra-ems.com

So here is the issue that has come to my attention.

My car is where I want it to be, but i feel that its slow as mollasses.
therin lies the problem. with 300/300+ to the wheels on pump gas, whats the point? The speed limit is 70MPH! The only time I'll be able to push the car is like once a month at the track! Is that worth the $3500 upgrade? (keep in mind I have the money)

Not to mention, parts on cars (esp high dollar ones) have always been wishy-washy with me, because you're bolting these components on a rolling liability. One good smack and you're parting out. And I know how much that sucks.

My brain says NO, it's a PASSAT, stupid!

I need opinions!

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
well, its something to do...
but ya, youll never get autobahn speeds unless you risk it, and hen when your pulled over... ouch.

but the torque will be fun :D

·
Registered
280 Posts
man all I can say is once you have that feeling of power under your foot, you'll never want to give it up. I used to have a 600hp rx-7 and ever since then I have strived to have the gut wrenching power again. You may not use it to top speed all the time but I can tell you you'll start wanting to hit red lights just so you can hear the turbo spool and glue you to the seat.

PEAce
L-aid

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Well Spanky, you should go for it. For no other reason that you give yourself the experience. The odds of having your car totalled are low if you are a good driver and the path towards true car nirvana is one that sometimes you have to take the lead on.

BTW, the fullrace.com site doesn't work...is that the right addy?

The Standalone system looks very nice too! Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good thoughts so far, thats why I asked something like this, to get other folks' experience!

Oh, the fullrace link has been fixed in the original post!

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Swami.

I've never seen anyone with 440's (or below) that HAD to change our stock fuel rails. The only time I've seen anyone do that is:
a) as a niceity (you know, a gee whiz kinda thing)
b) or if they got some MONSTER injectors (500cc+)

And thank God no, the compression remains @ 9.3.1.
Later on I MAY re-do the pistons/rods and drop the compression SLIGHTLY, but if I get to that point, I'll probably relinquish the daily driver status, strip out the AC and all appolstry, and basically gut it! (2800 lbs here I come!) :lol:

As a side note, the Fullrace guys recommend a aftermarket cam. The only manufactuer I know that does that for 1.8Ts is Schrick, and the only person to install it in a longitudnal 1.8T is Bel. and as you know a few weeks after he did it, his block blew up... I havn't heard the final word on that though... :nervous:

·
Registered
526 Posts
think about the clutch too when considering this upgrade but yea Ive been looking into doing and upgrade as well....der S4 eatr Passat. Its like nobody would expect it from a Passat so why not. It would just increase the already high level of driving fun our cars give us..go for it! :thumbup:

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,267 Posts
If you're still daily-drivering it, are you sure you want a turbo that takes 4K :shock: to spool up? It could make you miserable...

OTOH, the grin after 4K might be worth it...*grin*

"Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

:D

I bet all that was real helpful...

·
Registered
434 Posts
Once you actually FEEL what a big turbo can do to your tame "family sedan", there really is no question as to whether or not you should proceed with the upgrade.......

HELL YES!!! :p

But, that's the easy part....the questions you're asking now are the ones that will decide whether or not you will continue to love your car for a long time. If you are truly concerned with the money you put into this project being an investment, than you should probably stop where you are. Don't get me wrong, I'm scared to death of the same thing....putting that kind of effort and $$ into my BT would absolutely crush me to see it go all for not in one fell swoop, but we both know you'll never see the money out of it that you'll put into it.

As far as what turbo to get, there is definately a reason for the potato being the current turbo of choice. For daily driver applications, I think it will probably keep you a lot happier as far as drivability. It has the bottom end numbers that will keep you happy around town and more than enough ponies up top for when you feel like stretching it's legs. If you're not the kind of person that likes to breach posted speed limits too often (i.e. top end power.....where the GT3071R -- I'm assuming this is the turbo you're referring to, not a 3017, correct?? -- will definately run away from the 28), than you should probably stick with the potato. The GT3071R is an awesome turbo and we haven't seen too many people running it on their BT setups. So if you decide to continue with your project, than I'd like to see you go with the 3071 just to see what that badboy will do in a real world daily driver.

As far as cams go, I think most people have stayed away from them for daily drivers as they are much more beneficial on full race setups where the bottom end has been beefed-up to withstand the high-rev characteristics that make cams useful.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Man, that is some good advice so far. And yes, I meant the 3071, my fault!

I think I'm going to really miss the low end torque of my K03. I think (without looking at my dyno) I have about 250 to the wheels right at 3000 RPMs. Not so with the Potato. and no WAY with the potato's big brother, the squash. :lol:

Its just the mid and upper end is just not there in my car, and i DO want to keep the drivability to a daily basis. Thats why I'm not upgrading the clutch AND axle before I do this, because the car isn't going to see hundreds of 1/4 passes.

Maybe the GT28RS IS for me. Not to mention it'll be a bit cheaper than my DIY plans. 12.4 @ 110 on a stockish, heavy Audi A4 with a 1.8 60' with street tires is pretty damn good IMO.

a big thank you so far... I'm almost at my desicion!

·
Registered
434 Posts
I'd still probably lean toward doing at least a stage 1 or 2 clutch though. I've got ECS's stage 2 and love it. The flywheel is only lightened to 18lbs so you still have almost stock clutch feel. It's not the slightest bit "jerky", but there is absolutely no slippage. Your stock clutch won't last long with BT power...... 8)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts