Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently working on yet another suspension refresh and also changing out the front struts on a B5.5.
I am so sick of those cheezy assed spring compressors, slipping around the coil causing the spring to bulge out one side and the fact that the acme threads are always getting messed up because of cheap ass steel.
I tossed all my stuff on the garage floor last night in an absolute fit of rage because my spring compressors failed me again!
So having the resources available to me, I am on a quest to build a spring compressor that is superior in quality and any average person can own.
My premise with this whole thing is to utilize a floor jack and turn it into a hydraulic spring compressor.

My requirements for this project on said tool or device whatever you want to call it are as follows:
1) must be safe to operate with zero chance of getting hurt or killed by the spring if something were to go wrong. (my intent is to eliminate the failure portion with the design itslef)
2) must be somewhat portable. (say you're going to lend it out or take it over to a friends house)
3) must be somewhat generic in design so as to be adaptable (however at this point in time I'm thing spring dia is going to limit the generic part of the design and become more spring specific. Safety is the controlling factor here)
4) must be attractively priced. (This will be an item not everyone would want to purchase. I am targeting the person that does regular work on suspensions or that can justify buying one because of ease and safety)
5) must not be so heavy that it needs 6 people to operate. (part of the portability here)

So with those self imposed requirements with SAFETY as top priority I am going to start a prototype this week hopefully I can have it done in about 2 weeks.

I will post up my CAD design within a few days so you can visualize what this thing will look like. I will also be determining a price point as I progress along with the prototype.

Any interested parties please chime in and sign up.

·
Registered
26,305 Posts
#1 makes it a bit more difficult and lot heavier, but it would be interesting to see what you come up with. If you really want to sell these to individuals, it would have be light enough for one person to handle.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is quick down and dirty rendition of the B5 / B5.5 strut assembly.
It's crude, but it's all to scale which is how the whole spring compressor will get its size determined from.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Just fyi do you tie a rope around the spring to the compressing assembly incase the spring decides to fly off and hit someone/thing?

·
Registered
263 Posts
I noticed that most designs have only three hand designs that grip the spring from a triangular shape. Would a square design limit the workable space? Or if you still want the triangle shape design maybe incorporate more hands on the top mid and bottom instead of just the top and bottom?

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just fyi do you tie a rope around the spring to the compressing assembly incase the spring decides to fly off and hit someone/thing?
Huh, I forgot about this thread. I can't believe it!
The spring is going to be completely surrounded by a metal cage if you will. So if somehow the spring decides to let loose, it won't be able to go anywhere because it's trapped inside the cage.

I can probably do some Sketchups and then Autodesk if you would like.
Thanks man but I got it covered in SolidWorks. CAD/CAM at your service :whistle:
I work at a machine shop, and I'm a mechanical design engineer / CNC programmer with tons of toys at my disposal.
I'm also set-up at home with SolidWorks, MasterCAM and CamWorks.

I noticed that most designs have only three hand designs that grip the spring from a triangular shape. Would a square design limit the workable space? Or if you still want the triangle shape design maybe incorporate more hands on the top mid and bottom instead of just the top and bottom?
My design is a round 2 piece (upper half and lower half) that slides over each other and completely encapsulates the strut and spring. I have the bottom half design completely done and a rough rendition of the top half.
I was going to prototype one this week but my wifes car is numero uno on the 'shit to do' list.
After I get my wifes car running I'll get back on this project. About another 2 - 3 weeks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts