Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 Passat Wagon, the other day I found that I have a steady drip leaking down from the "D" column of the rear luggage compartment, drivers side, dripping down on top of the 6 CD changer. It was raining that day. Anyone had a similar leak? No moisture in the headliner. I assume it's not the rear sunroof drains, they come down the "C" column, right? Any ideas where it might be coming from? Anything down there that would be impacted with water? Is there a drain for that area?
Thx.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had a similar thing happen and it took me months to figure out the issue. Check the ball ends that are threaded into the pillar that hold one end of your hatch air spring(s). Mine had unthreaded just enough that water was making it past the threads and then down the pillar and all over that rear compartment.

I didn't realize how much water could work it's way through those threads!

I put a little RTV on the threads and snugged it up. No issues since.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26,310 Posts
I had loose hatch hinge bolts cause a leak, so double check those as well.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Also, there's a connection for the rear washer line, just above the base of the D-pillar, left side. I've had two wagons both decide to detach that connection. Drips right onto the amp/changer rack.

Fix is to remove the left side panel, plug the wash line back in (using a small amount of butyl cord to convince it to stay together & not leak), and secure BOTH sides of the connection to the wire harness with zip ties.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, it's definitely the ball head screw for the door support, spins around freely, doesn't tighten down.
So, I managed to unthread the bolt, I had incorrectly assumed that what it threaded into was attached to the pillar. I was wrong, seems to be just a nut on the inside, which promptly fell down to who knows where down below.
So, what does it take to access the back/inside of that space so I can get another nut behind there?
Open to suggestions on how to fix this.
Thanks for all the support!

I had a similar thing happen and it took me months to figure out the issue. Check the ball ends that are threaded into the pillar that hold one end of your hatch air spring(s). Mine had unthreaded just enough that water was making it past the threads and then down the pillar and all over that rear compartment.

I didn't realize how much water could work it's way through those threads!

I put a little RTV on the threads and snugged it up. No issues since.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Oh my...mine was threaded. I wonder if the captive nut broke off and caused your original problem?

Do you by any chance have a rivnut tool? I would think you could fix this pretty easily with the right sized rivnut.

I dont think you could get back in there to hold a nut unless you have a very slender arm.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don't have a rivnut tool, but might look into getting one to fix this. It's a heavy door without the second gas strut support.

Oh my...mine was threaded. I wonder if the captive nut broke off and caused your original problem?

Do you by any chance have a rivnut tool? I would think you could fix this pretty easily with the right sized rivnut.

I dont think you could get back in there to hold a nut unless you have a very slender arm.

·
Registered
35 Posts
It is a heavt door especially if you are somewhere with the cold weather.

You can install a rivnut without the tool however I have never had wonderful luck with that and bought the astro tool on Amazon.

Others may have a better suggestion but if that is just an open hole with a couple layers of sheet metal for the insert to hold on to, a rivnut seems like a straightforward option.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you happen to be near to SW Michigan, I have the necessary tools to insert Rivnuts in metric and SAE.

Online the tool and some nuts will set you back about 40 bucks. Harbor Freight has the tool but oddly only SAE rivnuts (not metric).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well, it's definitely the ball head screw for the door support, spins around freely, doesn't tighten down.
So, I managed to unthread the bolt, I had incorrectly assumed that what it threaded into was attached to the pillar. I was wrong, seems to be just a nut on the inside, which promptly fell down to who knows where down below.
So, what does it take to access the back/inside of that space so I can get another nut behind there?
Open to suggestions on how to fix this.
Thanks for all the support!
I've seen people spot weld a nut to a stiff wire, snake the nut into position and then just leave the wire in place.
You could also attach a wire with some kind of glue (epoxy?) and do the same, or maybe even pull the wire loose when you're done.
Steve

·
Registered
35 Posts
Any idea how to replace the antenna seal? Mine is missing
Thanks, Steve
2002 GLX wagon with V6 engine
You need to remove the trim around the car side of the hatch opening and if you are careful you can pull the headliner down just enough to access the nut holding it on.

If you are planning to replace it with the OEM gasket and o-ring you do also need to disconnect the antenna wire so you can slip the new seal over it. The connector should be about 6-8" from the antenna base.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Appreciate the offer, long drive from Oregon though.

If you happen to be near to SW Michigan, I have the necessary tools to insert Rivnuts in metric and SAE.

Online the tool and some nuts will set you back about 40 bucks. Harbor Freight has the tool but oddly only SAE rivnuts (not metric).

·
Registered
25 Posts
You need to remove the trim around the car side of the hatch opening and if you are careful you can pull the headliner down just enough to access the nut holding it on.

If you are planning to replace it with the OEM gasket and o-ring you do also need to disconnect the antenna wire so you can slip the new seal over it. The connector should be about 6-8" from the antenna base.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thx, for the RivNut suggestion. Bought the tool, ($45.00), as well as some stainless steel rivnuts. Installed a Rivnut in the hole this weekend, seems like a solid fix! Happy to have it fixed and working again.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts