Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After installing my pioneer head unit, I realized that my wagon was lacking bass. I wanted to install a sub enclosure but didn't want to sacrifice space. I decided the right side behind the rear wheel would be the best spot for my 10" sub. I used some cardboard and made a template. I transferred it to MDF and then formed the outer structure. The inner enclosure will be made of fiberglass. I plan on making it removable so that I can access my tail lights. More pics to come tomorrow.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fiberglass was being a pain in the a$$ cause of the cold weather. I used speaker box carpet to form the inside I used the resin and formed the inside. When it was dry I placed another layer of carpet on the outside waiting it for it to dry overnight. More pics to come.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Out of town for two days. Gonna let the fiberglass cure and then fit and shape the exterior.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did some trimming and applied a layer of bondo to the exterior. I also removed the cd changer and luckily my amp just fits in the slot! Now I don't have to worry about damaging my amp or worry about it taking up more space. Was getting to dark to take pics. More up tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Hello, Looks good. I'm going to building mine in a couple months. Been putting this project off way too long. I have the sedan and I'm going to try to build one up and over the tire well. Can you post some more pictures of it?

How long was the dry time between coats?

What was your cost of materials?

Thanks,
Brandon

·
Registered
997 Posts
Why do you want it over the tire well? These cars both the wagon and sedan have such a nice spot for a pocket box right in the corners imo. Unless you're trying to fit some monster sub for some reason?

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Why do you want it over the tire well? These cars both the wagon and sedan have such a nice spot for a pocket box right in the corners imo. Unless you're trying to fit some monster sub for some reason?

I'm making a properly fitted box for my sub and the room that your suggesting won't optimize my subwoofer. I already have a complete audio system but I got tired of my sub box taking up my trunk since I run a side company, play sports and travel frequently. Due to these reasons, I'm looking to build the sub behind the passanger side wheel well which will allow me to access the SAME exact amout of space as the OP. Very few have got into the fiberglass like this though and its cool to see someone else having done it. Last spring/winter, I taped off the side of my trunk to start but then things got busy again.

the problem is that I got too many projects started and I need a week off to put them all together. This is yet another one thats higher in my priority list.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Lots of subs out there that are very nice that can work in 1cu/ft which is easily attainable there. But that's cool I guess. I've done quite a few fiberglass boxes though, they aren't much work. You can easily build one for under 100 bucks though.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

This is a crappy cell phone pic of a fiberglass/MDF enclosure I made for my mk4 Jetta. You can make a similar one for your sedan that won't take up any room.

This is what my enclosure looks like roughed in I might go ahead and gets some fiberglass reinforced filler and contour it a little more. I plan on carpeting it so I don't have to get crazy with smoothing it out. I tried to hear how it sounds but I realized the preamps are fried on my head unit So I have to buy a new one. :( That's after I install a new oil pump :( this car is turning into a money pit!

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Looks Pretty sweet. I wonder if my amp would fit there? I think its too big though. I'm planning on strapping it thin sheet of wood and screwing it into the underneth panel under the backwindow. How much resin did you use for your project? 3 layers?
I'm planning on building mine and having it fairly removemable and putting some velcro to strap it in.

I think I'm okay with everything other than time to getting it done. Seems to cold right now outside.. feels like -30 C

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,902 Posts
this is great except for one small (but huge!) detail... what is the volume of the sealed box? was it optimized to the right volume per the specs of the speaker manufacturer? if not, expect it to be missing linear response thoughout the range of lower frequencies you want it to play.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have one of those kickers in a 12 in model. I can tell by looking at it, that box is too small. If the sound isnt what you are looking for Id look into a shallow mount woofer. Pioneer makes some nice ones that are tuned for very little box space.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts