Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
the Sal wannabe
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recall looking into this before but havent found any definite answers. I want to retry and get this resolved once and for all so i can replace my probably really dirty pcv at 75k.

after reading this:
http://www.passatworld.com/forums/s...ghlight=V6+PCV+system+replacement+(with+pics)

it seems that 2003+ pcv is different.

i called the dealership and the part department tells me vw doesnt not use a pcv... :( i gave her the part # 077-103-245B and she said that looks like a 8 cylinder hose part for about $133 that they dont carry. stopshopanddrive.com doesnt seem to find anything under pcv or of the sort. any ideas?

let me know. if it's simple enough i'll do a write up w/ pix. if not then i'll supply as much details in the replacement as i can. deal? :)

8,184 Posts
The V6's are called breather hose....tell them that and your good. also the problem with part numbers is some VW dealers part lists are auto updates and some aren't so a part number for one dealer can be diff from another.
Call again and ask her that

8,184 Posts
The part number you have is wrong...it is
078-103-213B and it is different. It looks like it hooks up top vs down like the others. Call and ask but yeah you will need a diff one then us

·
the Sal wannabe
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cool they have this part for $58 bux. i am going in later to take a look. i just looked under my hood again and i see only 2 connections instead of the multiple as seen here:

from what i see the left arrow applies. then it goes over the engine like above and hooks up but there's only 1 connection with the black tab that goes into a tube junction that connects to the tb. sorry for my dummy terms, i hope made sense.

8,184 Posts
Yup thats what the part looks like to just right to the TB. But heres the thing too...the part list also had a modded version for modded V6's....which your SC is a nice mod. But check to see if they replaced or did use the org one before you order anything. But I hope it helped you out:thumbup:

·
the Sal wannabe
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
modded version? how so?

the whole reason i am doing this is because i am getting that buring smell that i believe might be a dirty pcv or some slow leak on the passenger side of the cam. i do see grease/gunk on the passenger side of the breather tube. but near the tb as well. i've noticed some smoke coming right under where the airbox would be so that's probably some slow leak dripping down on the exhaust, causing that smoke. so i'll do the pcv first and go from there since this seems easy enough.

pson, thanks as always.

8,184 Posts
modded version? how so?

the whole reason i am doing this is because i am getting that buring smell that i believe might be a dirty pcv or some slow leak on the passenger side of the cam. i do see grease/gunk on the passenger side of the breather tube. but near the tb as well. i've noticed some smoke coming right under where the airbox would be so that's probably some slow leak dripping down on the exhaust, causing that smoke. so i'll do the pcv first and go from there since this seems easy enough.

pson, thanks as always.
Yeah your not going to like what I am going to say...but if you already have the smoke...then the chain ten gasket is toast. the PCV will only lessen the amount of oil pressure for a small amount of time. But if they didn't say anything then chances are you have the OEM one and that replacment part would be fine. hell that PCV is alot easyer to change then all the others too.

8,184 Posts
i read this:
http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=227714

what does the chain ten gasket do? how does that effect the performance of the car? what are the symptoms of its failure besides the leak/smoke?

Would it be possible that the oil is leaking, somehow, from the pcv?
Ok the gaskets are crappy and rot or fail due to the poor way the 2.8L can take oil pressure. The leak doesn't do anything to the car but just a nasty oil smell. Also yes oil can leak out from there but that wouldn't be making the smoke on the pass side like that (which the smoke is the oil dripping on the hot exhast). I can almost bet you if you look at the side of the motor you will start to see the value cover gaskets leaking too. It happens, but if you replace them with the upgraded seals and gaskets and use top grade gasket sealent...it wouldn't happen again for another 100,000 miles

8,184 Posts
so do both at the same time? i see the part is about $72 here but i wouldnt be able to swing this myself. it's off to my indy i go...

http://www.blauparts.com/audi_vw_timing_belt_kits/vw_passat_v6_30v_timing_belt_kit_improved.shtml
Yeah its a hard job for you to really clean it you need to take the whole ten out. The labor should only be 250 a side plus parts. But again you can wait on this too, I waited till I needed my TB done and just had them change all the cam seals and crankshaft seals and the TB for to really do the cam seals and such you need to take the TB off

·
the Sal wannabe
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i had my tb done around 60k when i had my blower put in. the smoke/smell doesnt bother me. i just dont want the car to blow up while i am in it. hahhah. i am at 75k now, shall i wait til 120k? hmmmmm....

8,184 Posts
i had my tb done around 60k when i had my blower put in. the smoke/smell doesnt bother me. i just dont want the car to blow up while i am in it. hahhah. i am at 75k now, shall i wait til 120k? hmmmmm....
You can just keep an eye on the oil level, but that quote I gave you was for all the seals so 600 for the replacement isn't too bad but not to good ether. I wouldn't wait that long but I would wait till after winter or summer right before winter.

8,184 Posts
i'll watch my oil. i guess that explains why i've been losing so much oil at each oil change.
If you and 1.8T take your time you guys can do it. I will have to dig but I found the best write-up for this job and then I would get the kit from blauparts and rent that 8 dollar tool to break the ten on the chain so you can get all the bolts out to pull the chain ten out. Let me dig around and I will post it or PM you.

8,184 Posts
my waranty ended at 50k and again after i installed the blower at 60k. hahaha
No any good indy shop if they get OEM parts and do that work...should and better 100% warr the work they do. Mine does so if the part fails for any reason they change the part and the labor is covered and doesn't cost me a cent. I would just ask if they have a warr for the work and what are the rules

1 - 20 of 24 Posts