Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couple of quick questions I'd appreciate some feedback on.
I have an 03 GLS (5spd) with the V6 with 237k miles.

Today was the coldest day of the year so far (7F) and I've been having some coolant issues.

1. what type of bolt holds the auxiliary water pump on: is it a hex (like a 10mm or an allen (anyone know?) I'm trying to remove it without disassembling a bunch of things in the way and can't see the head.

2. I bypassed the heater core last month with a U shaped bypass heater hose because the leaks from the inlet and outlet pipes were getting worse and I don't have time to tear apart the dash to replace the heater core. One is missing a 2" x 1/4" wide section down the length of it. I found some high temp/pressure water safe fiberglass tape--has anyone ever tried repairing those pipes? Maybe a sleeve of some sort with heavy amounts of epoxy?

TIA

tape was like this item but smaller quantity/less money: https://www.amazon.com/Perma-Wrap-Pressurized-Pipe-Repair-Kit/dp/B00KS6GLF4/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1548113988&sr=8-19&keywords=fiberglass+pipe+repair+tape+water

·
Registered
87 Posts
For your first question - I’m not sure. I didn’t think the v6 had an aux water pump. Maybe they put them on only certain models in hot climates?

As for your second question - I have a lot of experience with this. On my 03 GLX, one of the pipes cracked when the car was only a year old. Between the dealer and two different mechanics (and me) we must have tried 10 different attempts to epoxy, jb weld, sleeves, etc, but it would ALWAYS leak again. And the closer the crack is to the core the harder it is to seal. I eventually replaced the core on my own. It was a pain but I did it in about a weekend. The silver lining to replacing an original heater core is that the oem replacement version uses metal pipes. So, no more cracks! (And I HIGHLY recommend going with the oem version for that very reason - all the aftermarket cores still use plastic inlet/outlet pipes.)

By the way, we eventually figured out a Pep Boys mechanic cracked it while replacing a battery - it was an emergency battery replacement - live and lean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
Here is auxiliary water pump.
Can't recall for sure but it's either 4mm or 5mm Allen wrenches that are needed to get the pump out. It's bit of a struggle because two of the screws are between the bracket that holds the pump and alternator.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Haha, I've seen that view of the ATQ before. That's actually a good picture to give an idea of how they crammed everything into the bay. I had a timing belt snap at 170K and swapped engines. That's when I learned what interference engines were. re: the auxiliary water pump bolt, that's what I needed.

re: heater core, I've had an aftermarket Febi Bilstein waiting to go in since the fall, just never felt the desire to do the job. It has plastic pipes. Most threads I've read suggest that the A/C lines have to be disconnected to get the new heater core installed. When you did yours, did you manage to do it without breaking open the a/c lines?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
Most threads I've read suggest that the A/C lines have to be disconnected to get the new heater core installed. When you did yours, did you manage to do it without breaking open the a/c lines?

Thanks again.
I've never changed out a heater core yet, but...
I'm going to change the one in my wife's 2003 GLX next weekend. I can't wait for that. I'll be all alone on that job. :confused:

·
Registered
27,744 Posts
From everything I have read, the extra water pump is an after-run pump, not an aux pump like the 2.7T has. It is a pain to replace or move to get the alternator out and it does use 2 allen bolts, most likely 5mm.

For the heater core, it could be changed out without opening the a/c, but you will most likely crack the back of the airbox. It's far easier to remove the dash and recharge the a/c afterwards. The "simple/fast procedure" cuts the time drastically but does require an extra set of hands part of the time.

I've never changed out a heater core yet, but...
I'm going to change the one in my wife's 2003 GLX next weekend. I can't wait for that. I'll be all alone on that job. :confused:
If you were closer you could always come by and we could do it here :)
That's what you get for moving to AZ instead of TX :p

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
From everything I have read, the extra water pump is an after-run pump, not an aux pump like the 2.7T has.
Correct!

It is a pain to replace or move to get the alternator out.
Also correct!

If you were closer you could always come by and we could do it here :)
I just might show up at your front door now :p

That's what you get for moving to AZ instead of TX :p
That's all on me. My wife was dead set on TX but I talked her out of it. Next time I'll keep my mouth shut. :whistle:

Reactions: PZ

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
You're never alone as a member of PassatWorld!!! We'll all be with you in spirit!:wrench:
Thanks man. I'm really trying to see the positive side of this, but how's that spirit​ gonna help me hold the other side of the dash? :lol:

Maybe I can entice the wife out to the car for a few hours of 'quality time'.

Reactions: ylwagon

·
Registered
27,744 Posts
Correct!

Also correct!

I just might show up at your front door now :p

That's all on me. My wife was dead set on TX but I talked her out of it. Next time I'll keep my mouth shut. :whistle:
You know where I live and I am always home now!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts