Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if it's such a bad idea to do the trans mounts on a V B5.5 with just ramps and a jack (to lift the trans)? I have 4 jackstands, but I've had a car fall on me in the past (I had a 14" log under the frame and it saved me).

I know that some here have the tip....but with the 5MT, how about chocking the hell out of the rear wheels, drive it on the ramps and do the trans mounts in neutral?

AJ

·
Old Man Tan
3,685 Posts
you can do that. trans mounts on the v6 aren't bad, you dont really even need to lift the trans, just support the weight pretty much.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Yes its possible. When you lift the transmission do it towards the back of the bell housing of the transmission and not underneath the oil pan, of course with at least the nut on the bottom of the mount removed. You want to pivot/hinge the motor and transmission on the motor mounts towards the front of the car to allow the transmission mounts to clear out.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I don't mind pulling the entire front off a car, I just get a little creeped out laying under a car anymore.

AJ

1 - 5 of 5 Posts