Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Waited to do this mod for a long time. Finally, nice set of taillights (prewired for rear fog :bow: Gurft) came along. Thought I'd share it for all of the variant owners out there.

Install took 3 hrs including running for supplies and tracing wire for rear fog.

Note 1: DO NOT connect B5.5 lights to B5 harness without modification (see below) if you alredy did :oops: - go change corresponding 5 Amp fuse for rear parking light.
Note 2: Light bulb change from now on will be impossible without taking whole tail light assembly out. I'm actually considering dremmeling out some metal allowing enough clearance to take turn bulb holder out.
Therefore if you planning to do fog light or additional brake light mod - do it before this install.
Note 3 (Disclaimer): If you harm youself, lights, car or neighbor's house, please, do not blame anyone but yourself for it.

Tools needed: 8mm wrench socket, some small ratchet with flexible extension (I've used allen wrench hex inserted in my 3/8 socket - space is at a premium there) and philips screwdriver

There's nothing much to this install. Take covers off the two storage spaces on both sides. On the driver's side you'll need to remove CD changer shelf. I was able to slide it forward in it's space just so I could insert my improvised wrench there, otherwise interior panel must go off.
Old lights used 3 mounting points. Use the wrench and take it out.

Now on to rewiring. You'll need to rewire connector according to the new lights. On the back of the connector there's a cap that holds wires together. Carefully pry it open. To get the crimp connector (similar to the one used to wire rear fog) out insert needle or similar item under the crimp connector and push up, pulling on the wire simultaneosly.

Rewiring Passenger Side
old wiring: empty/fog - red - green - brown - gray - blue
old legend: rf/NES - BR - BL - 31 - 58(SL)- nes/RF
new legend: 31 - NSL - BL - SL - BR - RF
new wiring: brown -empty/fog- green - gray - red - blue

Rewiring Driver Side
old wiring: blue - red - black - brown - gray - empty/fog
old legend: RF/nes- BR - BL - 31 - 58(SL) - NES/rf
new legend: RF - BR - SL - BL - NSL - 31
new wiring: blue - red - green - black - empty/fog- brown

New lights use 4 mounting points. Two of them fit perfectly. For other two I've used improvised "brackets" from hardware store - something called 2" zinc plated mending plate - basically 4 small plates with 2 holes and wood screws for less then a dollar. I've also picked up 2 more washers and 2 lugnuts needed for 4th mount.
Edit: Just to clarify... Only one hole on the brackets used (to attach it to the light assembly). Other end gets wrapped with some tape and acts as a lever, resting on the body panel. Like that: 0-|-- :p
After... :wink:

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
UA - awesome writeup, glad you were able to get them in there!

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Tail lights he picked up used from me, might want to look and see who's in the Euro Tails group buy and talk to them as they might have some laying around after they put their new ones in. Or you can just get Euro tails.

I sold them for $100, the rest is just time and probably $15 in wire and parts.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Darin45 said:
how much did this mod cost ya?
as Gurft said: $100 in lights + change for other parts. For me it was well worth it. I can stare at my car for hrs again. Wait till HID looks go in - my neighbors will call ambulance for sure :crazy:
:lol:
<shameless plug>if you unable to locate used parts in good condition look here</shameless plug>.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yep nice write-up.

I'm in the middle of doing the same thing to my variant, except I've run into a little problem. The crimp connectors simply will not come out of the plastic block, and I'm afraid to force in case I break something.
I'll visit a scrapyard soon and break one open to see exactly how the connectors are kept in place. I know it's something simple and I'm not putting the needle in the right place...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Solved. Had some fun with the ordering of the cables- I'll edit this post to suit the european cars that are prewired for fogs.

Looks nice and sweet, like they grew there now. I have yet to saw off the little circle for the turn signal bulbs, i'll leave that for the next bulb failure...

·
I aspire to awesomeness
767 Posts
New lights use 4 mounting points. Two of them fit perfectly. For other two I've used improvised "brackets" from hardware store - something called 2" zinc plated mending plate - basically 4 small plates with 2 holes and wood screws for less then a dollar. I've also picked up 2 more washers and 2 lugnuts needed for 4th mount.
Edit: Just to clarify... Only one hole on the brackets used (to attach it to the light assembly). Other end gets wrapped with some tape and acts as a lever, resting on the body panel. Like that: 0-|--
I am thinking of installing B5.5 facelift tails to my B5.

So apart from the tails themselves, I get that I will need a new bulb carrier and wiring adapter all of which I found online, but I can't imagine how the metal bracket installed.

The image link here is dead. Anyone got a picture of a 3BG facelift tail installed in a B5?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
8 Participants
dav1129
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing