Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings!

It's great to be back amongst the folks in the VW crowd once again! The '99 M3 I've been driving for the last five years was fun, but there's just something about a VW. Anywho, I picked up my '04 Passat GLS (Silverstone Gray/Black Leather) last Friday night, and after putting about two hundred miles on it this weekend, have decided that there's some work which needs to be done. This car is my daily driver ('bout a fifty mile round trip commute - combination country road/highway), and I will be using it on extended road trips, so I'd like to set it up as a moderate/high speed highway car.

First up, and most importantly, is suspension - the stock stuff has to go. While it feels somewhat above average for a road car at highway speeds, there's too much float for my liking - all in all, every aspect can be improved. After hours and hours of research I've decided on the stiffer Bilstein Sport shocks. It seems like these, combined with a good spring, would provide excellent moderate/high speed stability on the straights as well as in the long sweepers commonly found on the highways in the US. In terms of springs, I'm looking for something that's going to provide 1" - 1.5" drop all the way around (trying to avoid the "raked" look), is a linear (non-progressive) spring rate, and is somewhere in the middle in terms of stiffness - need to retain some level of "softness", especially since I'm already going to be going with a shock that has a pretty stuff compression rate. Can anyone recommend something? I thought, initially, that the H&R OE Sports would be perfect, but saw one person here on Club B5 reference them as a progressive spring. Any suggestions?

Thanks to all who can provide some insight, I do appreciate it! Again, it's great to be back behind the wheel of a VW, and amongst the gang once again!

Abe

PS-I apologize the cross post over to VW Vortex, but I wanted to make sure I hit up both crowds for info, as there seems to be a wealth of knowledge floating around on both sites!

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Jump on the Group buys on the Neuspeed Sport springs and the Neuspeed Bilsteins in the group buy forum. It's a great deal!
S_Klass is the man :bow: Best group buy I was ever a part of!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Greetings!

Thanks for the help guys! It looks like the Neuspeed Sport springs are the way to go in terms of the amount of drop I want to attain - but are they a progressive rate spring? How do these compare, stiffness wise, to the stock springs? I can't seem to find a mention of it anywhere. Also, are the Neuspeed Bilstein Sports *exactly* the same as the regular Bilstein Sports except grooved on the front shocks to allow for height adjustment? I don't want a "dumbed down" version.

I have faith in the Neuspeed products, don't get me wrong, I had a lot of 'em on my GTI VR6 which I had tuned about seven years ago (http://members.aol.com/VWNUT99/abeGTIVR6.html - for the record, it was the prototype Schrick Big Valve Head that killed the car - it dropped a valve after only ~500 miles on the engine). I'm not questioning their quality, I just want to make sure I'm going to be purchasing what I expect to be purchasing. If that makes any sense.

:D

Abe

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
abegetchell
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing