Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I just came back from Auto Zone with new pads and rotors. I didn't think to read the "info" section BEFORE I went. Is it possible to retract the caliper pistons without the tool ? My pads were GONE.....down to metal, so I imagine the piston is about ready to fall out. I do have a large channel lock pliers, but not a c-clamp anymore. If I remount the caliper to the bracket without the pads, can I put pressure on it with a pry bar while turning it with the pliers ??

Thanks....oh really glad to find this forum....I just finished replacing both outer cv boots with the taligent guide. I wouldn't have touched it otherwise. Next is a transmission fluid change....it has been shifting irregularily lately.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
2001.5guy, where in MN are you?
I have the retraction tool you are welcome to use - I live in Plymouth, just off of I-494 near Rockford Road (zip 55446).
PM me, and let me know. I have all of the other tools needed, plus jack stands and Bentley manual.
Stewart

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the offer Stewart...you're a good Man !! I live near Stillwater. I was hoping to avoid going back to Auto Zone for the tool...it's only 6 miles...so I would do that before going all the way to Plymouth. I should have read the info forum before I bought the parts....and nobody there even mentioned a retraction tool...:rolleyes: . Oh well, I guess I'll go see if I can do it without the tool. I may be going back later.:(

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
If the pads are gone as far as almost down to bare metal, you'll almost certainly need the tool.
Just be careful so you don't accidently tear the rubber boot between the caliper and piston.
A number of us MN Passat people also belong to neuwerks.com.
I think we have a winter getaway drive in mid February - check us out.
Usually meet up at the Walgreen's down in Hastings.

·
Registered
28,344 Posts
If you were down to metal, the tool may not fit and you will have to manually retract the piston far enough to fit the tool.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts