Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finished installing my Terk XM Commander into my B5.5 Passat and though I'd share the pics. I wanted to go for a hidden "OEM" look...no cables, etc. This install is pretty much permanent, so if you're looking to get rid of the car soon you may not want to do this. I used an Enfig adapter to connect the Terk module to my CD changer inputs to eliminate the need for an FM modulator or tape adapter. The Enfig adapter doesnt let me control the XM tuner through the radio controls (This may end up as a future project of mine, if I can figure out the signalling method Terk uses between the tuner module and the control unit). Pressing "CD" twice on my head unit activates the XM tuner.

I gave my local auto paint store the paint code for my car and they were able to give me a spray can of Reflex Silver Metallic for $12. I disassembled the XM antenna that came with the XM tuner and modified it so that the wire exited the bottom. I also pulled the plastic top off and wet sanded it with 2000 grit. Then I cleaned it, applied 3 coats of primer, 3 coats of the Reflex silver, and 2 coats of clear. I drilled a hole through the trunk lid and ran the cable through, then sealed the hole with silicone (no leaks!) and used a small dab underneath to secure the antenna. I ran the antenna wire to the XM tuner module (mounted under the head unit, behind the climatronic controls) via the drivers side door trims.

I removed the factory Passat ashtray and did some minor Dremel work to cut out the cigarette lighter socket. This was tricky, because I didn't want to disturb the retractable cover mechanism...it's all one big piece of plastic. I cut some wood pieces and carpeted them to surround the control module.

With the cover open:

With the cover closed:

The dash lights are a slightly darker shade of blue than the XM control unit. My project for next week is to attempt an LED mod to darked it up a bit:

The sound quality is awesome and *way* better than the FM modulator. It sounds more like a CD than the radio. Overall I'm very happy with the installation.

--Random

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,285 Posts
Looks good, but it's gotta be hard to see the screen sitting like that. From the pics it looks like it is laying flat on its' back. Gotta love the commander. I don't even need mine anymore and I think I will still hang on to it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, guess I'd better wear my cup. I love this car. It's an '03, 39K. I just picked it up a couple of weeks ago. Man it hauls...but no one would ever guess by looking!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts