Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I hope you all are doing well in the current situation of Coronavirus Lockdown, I do hope youre keeping safe and healthy.

Quick introduction about myself, I am 18 years got my drivers license recently and have about 5 grand (euro) to throw at a car. I was looking into second hand cars and I found this amazing VW Passat B5.5 2003 2.5L V6 4motion TDI estate/touring 6 speed manual (180hp version) with 220k kilometres on the car with the dealership asking 2500 euro for it. Car is in black with creme leather interior and looks good, I have plans to visit the dealership later this week to view it.

My question for you guys is... Is the car I'm looking at, or considering, a good choice? What are some problems I could run in? Maintenence costs? Is the car reliable? What can I expect? I have been looking around on PassatWorld and other forums and the internet in general and asked my uncle about their B5 Passats.

I know, this question has probably been asked a gazillion times...

Other car I have been considering and looking at would be a MK4 VW Golf GTI 1.8L Turbo. Anyone have any experience with those???

Any input at all is appreciated

Thank you very much,

Keep safe and healthy,

Milt

·
in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
2,563 Posts
I hope you all are doing well in the current situation of Coronavirus Lockdown, I do hope youre keeping safe and healthy.
I've been drinking 12 bottles of Corona beer everyday which has saved me from the Corona virus.

I am 18 years got my drivers license recently and have about 5 grand (euro) to throw at a car.
For an 18 year old in Spain that's heck of lot of money. Good for you.

I was looking into second hand cars and I found this amazing VW Passat B5.5 2003 2.5L V6 4motion TDI estate/touring 6 speed manual (180hp version) with 220k kilometres on the car with the dealership asking 2500 euro for it. Car is in black with creme leather interior and looks good, I have plans to visit the dealership later this week to view it.
It's a good car by itself and relatively has low kilometers on it for its age. But as I have lived in Madrid for several years I can tell that their asking price is high. You should negotiate on that.
TDIs on average demand less maintenance compared to gasoline engines. So I expect your cost of repair and maintenance be lower that comparable cars with the same age.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
That model was never available in the US but I had a 1996 TDI Passat wagon (absolutely bombproof....) and I've had 4 B5.5 Passat wagons (all 1.8t non-4motion) both manual and automatic.

The only thing I can think of is that the US B5.5 diesels are notorious for failed torque converters but that obviously isn't a problem for this car. In short, if you are up to the maintenance of a VW - and living in EU I suspect you are....I'd go for it. That is a sweet combination of features in my mind. Best of luck.

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
I've been drinking 12 bottles of Corona beer everyday which has saved me from the Corona virus.
How about this: my company's office is in CORONA, California. Talk about being born under a bad sign!

On a serious note, our resident biomed expert says that these types of viruses are called "corona" due to the fuzzy ball appearance, similar to the sun's corona seen during a solar eclipse.

·
2,563 Posts
How about this: my company's office is in CORONA, California. Talk about being born under a bad sign!

On a serious note, our resident biomed expert says that these types of viruses are called "corona" due to the fuzzy ball appearance, similar to the sun's corona seen during a solar eclipse
Corona was originally a Mexican beer company before it was acquired. Since Mexico is a republic choosing the word corona which means crown in Spanish was not an issue. But when they tried to enter the market in Spain they were confronted by an unpleasant surprise. Since Spain in a monarchy and the constitution prohibits insulting the king, they were not allowed to use the word Corona because the Crown belongs only to the kind not a beer :)
So they were forced to rename it to Coronita.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Hey Emry,you know of course it is sacrilegious to drink anything but Molson if you're from Canada, and all this insight, I did not know that Canada had a Holiday Inn Express up there in the land of the Northern Lights.....

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,022 Posts
Hey Emry,you know of course it is sacrilegious to drink anything but Molson if you're from Canada, and all this insight, I did not know that Canada had a Holiday Inn Express up there in the land of the Northern Lights.....
He's from MI, stuck in Canada due to the 'Rona. Haven't you been following? 😄

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I don’t suggest it as a first car, unless you or a close friend are good with wrenches, and you enjoy the challenges of a good mechanical battle. The suspension links and axles alone are almost guaranteed to need replacing, and the 17 years brings a lot of other risk with it.

If you’re up to the challenge, don’t spend your other 2.500 EUR, but save it for maintenance and repairs.

·
2,563 Posts
Chief, I'm no Canadian. Came to Toronto early March to visit the kids and the next morning they closed the border and ever since I'm stuck/trapped here. It snowed heavily yesterday and it's so darn cold you can't even go out for a walk. This country is so darn expensive that I'm on the verge of bankruptcy. Everything here cost 3-4 times (if not more) than in U.S. -- So no I can't drink any Molson. I limit myself to the 12-pack Corona for now.

My Passat is parked in my condo's parking lot since March. I know for a fact when I go back (that's a strong if statement!) nothing would be left over from her. The battery is definitely gone by now. But what worries me are the tires that are fairly new. I guess they are flattened by now and need to be replaced all 4 of them. On top of that my driver's license and registrations have all expired too.

It's an ugly situation and there's no end to it. OK enough for now. Going back to drink my Corona.

·
2,563 Posts
unless you or a close friend are good with wrenches, and you enjoy the challenges of a good mechanical battle.
In European cities like Madrid people live in apartments and the parkings are in the basement of the buildings and very cramped. They can't do any work on cars in the parking or on the street. In remote areas and villages may be but not in big cities. When I lived in Madrid a decade ago, I only did very light repair and maintenance on my Passat (which I had shipped it from Dallas to Madrid!). For the rest I had to take it to the shops which charged quite expensive.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you very much all for your interesting replies, quite a read, on Corona and the car

I live on the island of Mallorca, in the mediteranean sea and in the countryside, bad roads are expected and normal and car prices in Mallorca are higher than that on the mainland. I am planning to spend no more than 3 grand on the car and have the rest as change for maintenance or any problems i could run into.

I am probably going to view the Passat later today, or perhaps tomorrow, I will definitely get back to you all.

Here are some pictures the dealership posted online

·
2,563 Posts
Sorry, saw the Canadian Flag and started humming "Oh Canada"
When you login the software spies on your IP address and sees from which country you have logged in and displays the flag of that location (country). For example, if I tomorrow go to South Africa and login from there then you'll see the SA flag on my avatar. It is indeed a strange practice. The right way is to display the location stated in user's profile.

·
Registered
26,992 Posts
It looks good apart from the sagging dash panel and glove box. The V6 TDI is good for mpg, but it's not very quick stock. Be sure to check for loose steering, clunks, shifting into 1st or 2nd and how the clutch holds.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts