Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im currently doing a auto to manual swap. Just looking for someone that has done one. Im not looking for a post or YouTube vid. Just a person that has done one.

Got my pedal assembly in last night. So much left to do but i just finished mocking up all the parts so im ready to clean and install all this crap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,959 Posts
Yeah? Did mine a couple of years ago. I can try to answer some questions. Going to move this to the B5 forum so it gets exposure.
JXCS0446.jpg LUPX9295.jpg

·
Registered
27,867 Posts
You got through the hardest part already.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I also did a manual swap on a tdi and yes it is driveable without the tune, but the cruise doesn't work right. Did my swap around 4 yrs ago. Picking a clutch to hold ectra power is important if you are getting a tune for power too. My clutch slipped immediately in 4th and 5th gear. Used a european valeo smf flywheel and clutch for a tdi. Held great untill the tune. Got my clutch relined at south bend to handle the extra power.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,959 Posts
I recoded the ECU at the same time so I didn't have to worry. I can tell you that if you do not have the clutch switch installed, RPMs will hang between gears and the cruise will also not work. That was the only thing I did not have on hand when I did the swap. I am chipped APR stage1 on my 1.8T and the SMF Valeo kit holds just fine at that power level.

·
Registered
27,867 Posts
On mine, I did a full dash electrical wiring swap at the same time as I also did an engine swap from a V6 to 1.8T. I had to replace the heater core anyway and I had a donor car to pull the dash harness from.

On the 2nd one I did, I left the electrical wiring to the owner (an electrical engineer) as he was better qualified to do it than I was. I did recode the ECU, it's pretty easy with VCDS.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Just my opinion (and only tangentially relevant) I don't understand why anyone would do this. I've had both, M5 and Tip and put a lot of miles on both, and the Tip is the better choice. It's more flexible and just as much fun, especially if you employ the vag-com sport mode mod for the Tip. Both cars used the ATQ which is such a flexible, free reving valve train that I seldom use 5th. The traffic density doesn't allow it. Below 80, I live between 2 and 4. True, the Tip will not skip gears; 2 to 4, or 3 to 5. Occasionally, rarely, the TCM ignores a shift if it thinks is unsafe or harmful. I confess I'm a little embarrassed when this happens. It means I've lost track. Here, though, is a small difference with the M5: feel, I could feel what gear was engaged by putting my hand on the shifter. I'm not sure this is helpful, however. It gives the illusion of control without any actual benefit over the Tip. Finally, both setups could use a taller 5th. This is not so much an observation as a well known deficiency for the States.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
The torque curve of the 1.8t is not as smooth or linear as the V6. I have both a tiptronic and 5spd 1.8t at the moment and the manual is much faster off the line, especially when cold. The 5spd and the turbo really play well together IMO since you can get the revs up before dropping the clutch and have 'instant power'. I agree it might be less of an improvement for a V6. I've only driven one and it was an Audi so I don't have much experience there.

On the tiptronic, on a cold start, off the line the car just seems to creep a bit before it revs up. I've had 3 1.8t tiptronic wagons now (2 are sold) so I don't think it's just a one-off thing.

·
Registered
27,867 Posts
For me, I did not expect my trans to last the 5-10 years that I had planned on keeping the car. On the V6 4mo, the tip trans really kills the performance of the car, not so much on a FWD. On the 2nd car I did (FWD V6), the trans fried itself and there were tons of metal shavings in the pan.

For the 1.8T when stock, I found the Tip to be better than the manual, apart from starting off (unless you slip the clutch).

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,959 Posts
I grew tired of the slow-shifting slushbox. Even after the sport mode, which didn't change the experience enough. It robbed a lot of power from the 1.8T IMO. For me, it was the tactile feel and total control. There is no fun in just telling the car when to shift and then waiting for a second while it figures out what to do. When it finally started flaring in between shifts and hunting gears, I jumped at the chance to switch. I had a B6 A4 at the same time with essentially the same transmission (albeit quattro) and I would never have a problem with it shifting slowly or being in the wrong gear when slowing down, then accelerating again. The difference between the two was night and day.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did you guys get nw bellhousing bolts? And can i reuse the starter?

·
Registered
27,867 Posts
Same starter and same bolts used on the V6 swap. Should be the same for a 1.8T to 5sp manual. On my 6sp swap, I probably swapped a few bolts but used the same starter.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,959 Posts
I don't remember having to buy any extra bolts and the starter definitely bolted right back up with no problem. Bell housings should be identical in the bolt pattern/setup.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So i dropped the tranny last night. Im pretty sure i can bolt the subframe back up and install the manual tranny later. Did you guys do that or left the subframe hanging down until the mans transmission was mated?

·
Registered
27,867 Posts
It's a bit easier to reach the upper bolts with the subframe down. The lower bolts to the oil pan are difficult to install with the subframe in place. If you need to move the car now, you can leave the subframe hanging (with bolts installed, but loose). I've done that several times.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What transmission mounts did you fellas use in keeping the automatic subframe

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,959 Posts
I believe I used a v6 mount and bracket on the driver side. 8D0 399 113 AG. Sorry, it's been about 2.5yrs.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts