Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

So my friend helped me out with converting my blue/red cluster to white/red, but we messed up somehow the tank gauge backlight, and now even if my lights are off the backlight always on (even when locked).
We couldn't figure out what's wrong with it, and since i don't want to do the hassle to replace my cluster i would like to fix this...:confused:

This picture with lights off (key out)

Lights on

How it looks so far

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have no idea how to fix this but, this looks great. I would very much like to do this at the same time I get my center screen repairs. Any additional info on supplies and process?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
2,285 Posts
We couldn't figure out what's wrong with it,
You need to go the reverse rout and see what have you done. I mean step-by-step go back.

The blue lights were all connected to the main light switch. They had to be disconnected and replaced with new lights then connected to the switch again. You need to verify that you did this and nothing extra in between.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any additional info on supplies and process?
There are loads of threads with converting your gauge cluster to led. But use only 3528 SMD (3.2mm x 2.8mm) And around 200-300mcd.

You need to verify that you did this and nothing extra in between.
We’ve made sure the polaritys are right since we tested it with multimeter before and after to make sure. You mean we should desolder smds one-by-one?

·
in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
2,285 Posts
[QUOTE="CsaWee, post: 4526962, member: 36925]You mean we should desolder smds one-by-one?[/QUOTE]

No really. What I meant is you got to be sure that they are correctly connected to the switch. Since all of them illuminate at the same time, they must be in series, thus there must be only one wire that goes to the swich and powers them all. Make sure you have connected that wire to the switch and not directly to any outlet that has continuous power.

·
Administrator
23,353 Posts
Emry, I am not sure what you are getting at. Unless they didn't mention it, all that this job requires is a direct swap of each LED on the board. Nothing gets rewired.

OP, one thing that may have happened is that you may have inadvertently re-flowed or connected a solder trace on the board that connected it to constant 12v. I see a few crispy LEDs in that pic....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts