Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My key fob no longer unlocks the doors or trunk, the interior door panel buttons work except the trunk needs to be opened by key still. i only have one key as i bought it used, so im unable to reprogram it. the fuses and all the batteries have been replaced.

i have looked online and tried programming with only one key, did not work.
i looked at possibly replacing all the actuators but that seems like a lot of work that id rather not do.

any help would greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Is it a wagon? Sorry, I may have missed that from your info

·
Registered
9,379 Posts
Can you lock & unlock all doors with the key in the driver door ?
Can you lock & unlock all doors with the button on the driver door panel ?

Can you scan the CCM and post the codes ?

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
If you got a copy of your key made, then you'd be able to reprogram the remote.
The copy wouldn't be usable to start the car because the immobilizer would almost immediately shut the engine down, but it would open doors (and trunk) and allow remote programming just fine.

Background: the immobilizer uses an RFID chip inside the key housing. The really expensive reprogramming is matching that RFID chip to the car, since it generally requires a computer with connection to the VW database (unless you have the secret key code for your car, which most of us don't). All keys you are mating to the car must be present. The valid RFID chips are stored (encoded) in the instrument cluster. But there is only one immobilizer pickup coil, at the ignition switch, so the RFID chip doesn't matter for unlocking doors, etc.; the CCM knows nothing about the RFID.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts