Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to see if anybody can give me pointers on where this coolant line goes. Looked through the Bentley manual and didnt get anywhere. Appreciate any help.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26,310 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have never seen a coolant line connect to the intake manifold on a V6 Passat. There are the 2 lines to the throttle body, but that one looks too long. It looks like the one to the top of the coolant tank.
Look through my writeup here for pics: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2kx8OcCoy0ETXduZmhyQ05Scms/view
So on the pics on page nine of your PDF. I think the hose in the last picture is where my the leak on my adopted '02 2.8l 4mo GLX wagon is.
somewhere near the ECTS.

best way you think to check to see where the leak is?
(I havent had time to pressure test the system) but I might be able to get a friend to step on the gas while I look around with a mirror

·
Registered
26,310 Posts
There are no hoses in that picture, just metal pipes. The top picture on that page shows the heater hoses going under the metal pipes. The CTS can leak at the seal after a few years, but it's impossible to see from above with the engine running. You can see the coolant leak down near the front side of the trans (or the differential) from below. Harbor Freight sells a pressure tester that has an adapter for the Passat coolant tank. I bought one due to the difficulty of finding leaks on the 2.8.

·
Registered
199 Posts
OK. In that case I think the leak is in that metal pipe... I'm guessing same place as the leak by the CTS that is fixed on the one in your excellent write up. Also given I can really find a puddle of coolant under the engine (granted the car is not at my house... Because I don't have a garage)... Metal pipe makes more sense that it only leaks after its gotten much warmer... And needs the pressure of the water pump to force any out.

I have an adapter that goes from my compressor to garden hose thread (used to blow out the lines of my house if I shut it down in winter.. I used to travel a lot for work). I have the little Prestone fill n flush kit, so I should be able to tie into that and then slowly pressurize the system.

(I should be able to make an adapter to hook up a shop vac to the system and vacuum fill it as well)... But that's for another day. Maybe Sunday of this week or of Thanksgiving weekend I might be able to test the system.

·
Registered
199 Posts
There are no hoses in that picture, just metal pipes. The top picture on that page shows the heater hoses going under the metal pipes. The CTS can leak at the seal after a few years, but it's impossible to see from above with the engine running. You can see the coolant leak down near the front side of the trans (or the differential) from below. Harbor Freight sells a pressure tester that has an adapter for the Passat coolant tank. I bought one due to the difficulty of finding leaks on the 2.8.
Good news...
I think....
I am rather 99% confident that my leak is coming from the same areas as yours. either the left or right side (why not both?) of the metal hose towards the front of the engine.

There is a small puddle of coolant that corresponds perfectly with a leak coming from the passenger side, but the floor might not be perfectly level where it is parked, so it could be coming from the drivers side as well. The good news is is that it is not coming from the ETC sensor area.

I marked up a photo from your PDF, but for some reason it is not letting me post it. I will try later from a different browser/computer.

Is it any special gasket or is it just an oring?

·
Registered
26,310 Posts
It is multiple O-rings. If you take off one, you have to take them all off and any not replaced will leak.

·
Registered
199 Posts
It is multiple O-rings. If you take off one, you have to take them all off and any not replaced will leak.
Copy that. I got an oring kit a while back, so just wanted to know if i could likely find what I needed in the kit instead of going out and buying them.

Not sure when this is going to get tackled...but soonish

·
Registered
26,310 Posts
The writeup was a B5.5, so the parts should be the same. There were some minor changes from the B5 O-rings, so you can check ETKA for the sizes. There might still be an ETKA link in the Info Forum, but you can also find the part numbers and sizes on some dealer sites.

·
Registered
199 Posts
The writeup was a B5.5, so the parts should be the same. There were some minor changes from the B5 O-rings, so you can check ETKA for the sizes. There might still be an ETKA link in the Info Forum, but you can also find the part numbers and sizes on some dealer sites.
I think i got ETKA somewhere.
also mine is a b5.5
thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts