Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 2001.5 B5.5 had the Euro (black plastic) bump/side strips as standard. :sad:

As I prefered the look of later models with the colour coded/chrome strips, i asked my dealer to get them done the same, as part of the deal before i picked the car up. :)

So it went from this:

to this:

I've had the car a week now since picking it up, and two strips have fallen off, and one is working its way off. :(

From looking at the one that came off, they just tried to stick it where the original was without removing the original glue, therefore they havent stuck. :mad:

Can anyone tell me how they should be secured to the car ? Is it just by glue or are there clips that attach to the bodywork ?

I want to know this information before I return to the dealer, so I can use it as ammunition to get the work done properly !

Thanks in advance for any advice. No "keep the Euro strips" comments though please.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks Bulliboy, just what I thought. If only they'd done it correctly in the first place. So much for "trained technicians" :mad: :mad: I would have done a better job myself.

·
Registered
307 Posts
OOOHHH... so these pieces are simply GLUED on??? Ah, that's great info, thanks.
Hey Mark uk... I don't like chrome, myself, but with the color of your car and the other chrome bits, the new side strips look really sharp! Good luck getting them properly attached.

Darned dealers anyway.. <grumble>

·
Registered
307 Posts
dgabler said:
yeh 3M makes a 2sided foam tape. It is pretty thin and sticks like the dickens. Just get the ones designed for cars not crafts/hobbies (The white stuff) The wite stuff is typically not that strong and releases in the heat.
Thanks, Dgabler... the trim I got from Kamei is pre-"stickied," so I was writing with concern about removing the existing trim. I'm glad Marc uk started this thread as I posted 2 or 3 times asking how to remove the trim and never did get a reply.

·
Registered
88 Posts
dgabler said:
yeh 3M makes a 2sided foam tape. It is pretty thin and sticks like the dickens. Just get the ones designed for cars not crafts/hobbies (The white stuff) The wite stuff is typically not that strong and releases in the heat.
not to hijack the thread... but does anyone know where to buy this stuff?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.