Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know if you can take the chrome strips off a B5.5 grill? I was thinking of doing this until I can afford a black Mattig badgeless grill.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
No, he wants to know if he can take the strips off of his stock grill, and I don't know the answer to that.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I dont think so.... Damn things are stuck on tight and they also have an indentation where the chrome sits so if you do pull it off then you are gonna be left with a lip of some kind ...

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Hey, I haven't contributed much lately, but here's a chance....
This kind of falls under the other topic heading of "cheap cosmetic mods."

Here's the steps for the blacked out factory grill (taken from Scott, the Variant guy in Atlanta, forgot his alias).

Carefully pry off the horizontal chrome strips and the large chrome surround piece. I used a small thin, flat blade screw driver wrapped with electrical tape to prevent marring the original black grill plastic. The car looks ok to drive this way.

* Important * :
Lay the pieces out in the same location as on the grill so you won't have to figure out which one fits where with new paint and possibly scratch things when they don't fit. I laid mine on a big piece of cardboard.

Sand the chrome with 220 grit sandpaper and roughen it up very thoroughly. Clean with a degreaser and/or rubbing alcohol (I just used lots of warm soapy water).

Prime with black primer, 2 light coats. (Let dry between coats.)
Paint with matte black paint, 2 light coats. (Let dry between coats.)
(I got both of these spray paints at Home Depot, an outdoor quality black primer and an automotive quality mattle black paint.)

* Also important * :
Let these cure (harden) for 2 or 3 days as the reinsertion process of the horizontal strips may scrape paint off otherwise.

The horizontal pieces are longer than the horizontal opening so one end slides in further, then back out. The inserted end will chip if not cured. The pieces then snap in place.

* If you chip the paint on the ends when re-inserting, you can use the matte black paint with a very small brush for touchups. I didn't wait long enough for the paint to cure, so I did a couple touchups on the ends after installation.

Notes:
The chrome strips pry out gently just fine. It does take a couple/few hours total to sand all the strips to get most of the chrome finish off to accept the paint. You just need to get a texture to accept the paint.

Here are my results, about one year later still looks great.
You can also do the VW badge, but I like how it stands out.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nice! Can you get the chrome strips from the dealer or must you buy the whole grill? I'm just trying to plan ahead incase I ever trade the car in or sell it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts