Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No one is a stranger to this, we drive fat, heavy heifers with underpowered motors (those of us still in the "stock" category :driving: )

Getting a lower number on that scale I'm sure does a helluva lot for these cars, so what could I do to accomplish that while still keeping most of the practicality in play?

I've been very tempted as of late to replace the nice power seats with manual adjusting ones for two reasons: weight reduction, and the driver seat doesn't move backward with the switch anymore, just when I push the memory setting...But there are four different motors in each seat, and I know they're not light.

What else can be done?

· Registered
3,350 Posts
Switch out the stock steering knuckles for the aluminum Audi ones. I don't know the exact numbers, but thats a nice way to reduce unsprung weight. Same goes for installing wheels and tires with a total weight that is lesser than what you have stock.

· Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oooh steering knuckles, that's a good one.

As far as wheels go, I'm on OZ Porsche Boxster Twists that my wife absolutely had to have (powder coated in Solar Rain, too!), so I don't think those are going anywhere anytime soon haha they aren't terribly heavy, though. Pretty average, I think.

I'll have to go to a junkyard and see if I can get a weight difference between the two seats.

· Moderate Moderator
16,440 Posts
If done correctly, a custom exhaust could weigh less.
You could delete the AC system but you'd be losing a popular feature.
Don't fill up beyond half a tank.

Like discussed above, any reduction in unsprung weight or rotating weight is way more beneficial then a reduction in static sprung weight.

· Registered
5,889 Posts
Scratch sodas and other sugar bombs from your diet.
Actually one of the most reasonable answers, truth be known. A well over 3,000 lb street car is not going to change much from removing a hundred pounds or so of stuff. And those seat motors are low enough that they won't contribute to body-roll in corners. Take a look at serious track cars, interiors striped to the metal stampings, plastic windows, carbon fiber or fiberglass body and dash parts, etc.

· Registered
4,326 Posts
^He's right about the wheels. Check the weight of those 17" / 18" tires the next time you order a set...now go look at the weight of 15" or 16" tires. As a benefit, the weight of tire/wheel is both unsprung and rotating.

Trade in the V6 GLX for a 1.8T GLS... :p ;)

· Registered
1,207 Posts
Get roadside assistance and remove the spare tire and jack = 65 pounds approximately. Keep the fuel tank no more than 1/2 full = 50 pounds savings vs. full. Keep the windshield washer fluid below 1/3 full = 2 pounds less.

Remove rear bench seat when not needed = 12 pounds ?

Fill all tires with Helium and .....and.....oh shit, now the car's gone !!

· Registered
455 Posts
I don't know if reducing weight over the rear axle helps much (removing the spare and driving with a half tank [who wants to re-fuel every quarter tank anyhow]). I've tried it both ways and prefer a heavier back half, all other things being empty. Having driven ATQs for over 10 years, both manual and auto, I find the driving dynamics change dramatically once the engine reaches its torque peak. I'm sure everyone here has experienced the joy of FWD torque steer dynamics (I'm not being sarcastic.) It takes awhile to trust the rear to follow but it does, much more willingly at 4k rpm than at 2k (true, there's a lot less drama at 2k rpm). The real problem, dynamics wise, is finding the optimum engine speed for a given stretch of road with only 2 gears. (I don't count fifth, 4k rpm in fifth is 90mph, an unsustainable speed in the NE and 4k rpm in fourth is 80 and first is, well, first.) It's not easy to get this car up on the balls of its feet but occasionally, when I'm feeling lucky, I'll throw the Silver Beast into a curve way too fast and there's a little front end understeer drift until the rear pushes the front back on coarse, all before I loose my nerve and lift, and I realize how remarkable this car could be if only I were a better driver.

· Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I hear what you're saying, Grandpa. I've doddled with not lifting and just throwing it into the curves on my local on ramp, especially in the rain, and been amazed at how much work the 4Motion is actually doing to keep it tame. Nice long bend at over 60mph in wet conditions, and needing two tires, yet it still keeps on track.

Unfortunately the bench seat removal idea is a moot point in my case, as I have a car seat that needs to stay attached back there.

· Moderate Moderator
16,440 Posts
A well over 3,000 lb street car is not going to change much from removing a hundred pounds or so of stuff.
I actually do notice the difference between when I'm hauling and when I'm empty. When I work out of the car, I carry a coworker in the passenger seat and about 100 lbs of tools in the trunk. When I'm without all that, the car jumps out of the hole quicker and corners better. Granted, I have the 1.8t so I don't have the low end torque the V6 folks have.

When I autocross and completely empty the car (floor mats, spare tire, spare tire cover, jack, glove box contents), I feel that difference too. I run with a half tank or less.

· PassatWorld Elder
27,992 Posts
The V6 with a manual is a different beast compared to a Tip. It's also much lighter in either FWD or 4MO configurations.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.