Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a fresco green b5.5 GLX wagon. I'm looking for the driver's side roof trim piece that goes in the roof channel from the windshield to tailgate. The dealer says it's a black rubber/plastic piece that can't be painted although on every other Passat GLX Wagon I see it appears to be two pieces, this black rubber piece that the dealer found plus a cap piece painted to match the car. My dealer says the cap piece doesn't exist even when I show it to them on existing vehicles. Any help new or used would be greatly appreciated. I live in TN and will pay shipping or if you know of good salvage place that ships or a totaled/parting out GLX Wagon.

I've also placed an ad in the classified section. Most of the parts places thru this site don't deal in body trim (as I've called them and will call them back when I need the parts they sell as they were good peeps) the dealer is the only one with this info, maybe you're a dealer and know more than mine?

As a cautionary note don't let someone else take your car to the carwash before a family road trip if they can't see over the roofline. I have a sneaking suspiscion this is how the trim piece might dissappear...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Bumping this because I'm missing the rubber/gold roof trim on one side of my wagon, too. (My car is metallic gold.) Having trouble finding this piece; trying to avoid asking at the dealership!

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I was somewhat surprised not to see the part number in a quick pass through the ETKA body parts file (see link below).

You might try googling or try ECS Tuning for 3B9-853-701-E-03C, which was the part number listed on an invoice I have from when my dealer replaced the left "channel" (that's apparently what they call it) on my 2004 wagon under warranty.

Warning: you will be annoyed by the price, which I was told at the time was in the $50-$100 range.

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/61-b5-information-base/228021-oem-vw-part-numbers-etka.html

--------------

Edit: it actually is in the ETKA illustrations, Illustration 853-20, item #16

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am curious as to how you guys lost this part. I just noticed that the piece was missing from my wife's car after I had the windshield replaced, and I am wondering if the guy busted up the piece removing the windshield and didn't tell me, or if this piece has been missing for a while.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Sir

3B9 853 701 E 03C left
3B9 853 702 E 03C right

The ledges are made from black painted alloy and the rubber comes with them. Costs ~40€ each.

Because they´re made from alloy, you can change the surface to highgloss finish:

This part is lost by many Passat owners.
Me excluded.

·
Registered
23 Posts
On mine - same car as OP's - it looks like they are just held in place via friction fit. Is there a better way / should there be a little clear silicone to help? It seems like mine pop up every once in a while and I just press them back into place.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
On mine - same car as OP's - it looks like they are just held in place via friction fit. Is there a better way / should there be a little clear silicone to help? It seems like mine pop up every once in a while and I just press them back into place.

Sir

At least it will your local paint shop help to generate more business volume.

If you want to stick the ledges onto the body, please use PU collant.

·
Registered
8,492 Posts
FYI: I had this trim replaced under warranty by the stealership 2 years ago. They have to paint it to match car because it comes black. They will give you a hard time, at least they did with me. It is one strip/piece and they fit it in with some type of gorilla glue, etc. According to stealership, you can't use an old/used one because it won't fit with the old glue,etc. on it. Must be new & painted to match. GL

·
Registered
5 Posts
my 03 glx wagon almost lost the strip in a car wash. 3/4 hanging off and banging. Just popped back into place. Another good reason to hand wash!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
To comment on an old thread, I encountered similar event yesterday is a 'touch free' car wash. Who knew those drying blowers were tornado strength.

Popping it back in was simplish, but since in was mildly buckled I was concerned it may lift on the highway. So I lifted it out, clean channel and trim and used some old black contact adhesive. Being old helps as it remains tacky and removal is easy.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yeah, just lost mine on a road trip from OR - AZ & back. Passenger side missing after driving thru some windy canyons in Calif. So, now I'm looking for replacement part.
Anyone in Oregon know where I might find one?

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Anyone in Oregon know where I might find one?
junkyard or someone parting out a wagon in your color would be the easiest. I can't imagine trying to ship one of these but you could try on-line junkyards too if nothing is convenient. Or just stop by a yard when you're nearby. It takes no tools at all to yank one out and I'd bet the yard would charge < $5 for the thing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts