Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of tools to be able to remove the hubs, and remove and install front wheel drive (FWD) bearings on a B5.5 without removing the entire wheel bearing housing/arm?

I can remove it, but don't want to if it can be done without doing that. I have a hydraulic press, but again, don't want to remove the arm/housing if I can avoid it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
You can use a FWD bearing remover / installer set. It works pretty well but it is a bit more tedious so I expect that it will actually take less time to remove the whole spindle.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,292 Posts
^agreed. If you can just pop the four control arms, tie rod, and axle bolt loose, 50% of the job is done.

·
Registered
27,231 Posts
The tool is called a "Hub Tamer". There are various copies out there, including Harbor Freight. I have an original master kit, it's massive and very heavy (50lb). I bought it used (only once!) several years ago expecting to use it often, but even at 184K on mine and 250K on my son's Passats, the wheel bearings are still good. I'll be hanging on to it until I eventually sell or scrap my wagon (or switch to bolt-in bearings).

·
Registered
5,081 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Wait...how do you switch to bolt in bearings??? I assume you need a spindle from a much newer car?

·
Registered
27,231 Posts
Yes, you need to swap spindles. I don't know if any Passat had them, but the B5 S4 with Aluminum spindles did (as well as later B6 Audis). It lowers the unsprung weight, makes bearing changes easy and allows you to run larger brakes easily.

Reactions: arnoldcp

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
W8's also have them.

Reactions: PZ

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
Spare W8 steering knuckles.

`

Reactions: dihedral and PZ

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks for the info. I will have to keep an eye out for those. My B5 probably does not warrant a set but that is quite an upgrade.

Are you also saying that a B6 spindle would swap into a B5? I guess that makes sense because the control arms often say they are compatible...

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Thanks for the info. I will have to keep an eye out for those. My B5 probably does not warrant a set but that is quite an upgrade.

Are you also saying that a B6 spindle would swap into a B5? I guess that makes sense because the control arms often say they are compatible...

they unfortunately do not

·
Registered
27,231 Posts
A B6 A4 audi spindle would swap, not a B6 Passat. I am pretty sure the lower control arms are different from the 98-03 Passats, but I don't know if the post 03 mid-year change arms fit. I know the front lower arms on the B6/B7 A4 are thinner, but you can use a spacer for the shock mount. It's only for people who want to upgrade their brakes past the A8 upgrade.

Reactions: arnoldcp
1 - 13 of 13 Posts