Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

101 - 120 of 133 Posts

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
i donno if anyone has talked about this but how would u get the cloud out of the chrome on the exterior trim?
If yout talking about the trim around the windows and the door rub strips on a B5.5 you can't .. its a mfg problem that was around for a bit.

·
4,974 Posts
aw really? so that polish stuff i bought is garbage now. and yes it is for a b5.5
You can give it a try but it was a common problem in and around the 03 era .. Dealer changed a bunch of my chrome because of it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Firstly I personally disagree with not washing after claying paintwork, especially if it's single stage or there is marring left by the bar.
At the very least I'll give the bodywork a rinse with a pressure hose just to be sure there are no 'loose' bonded contaminants that are trapped in QD.

Although I find Zaino products to be awesome, it's very much 'the' hype brand to use right now, and as it's been said there are plenty of other products out there which will give a lasting quality finish.

In the UK, Meguiars retail range is pretty much the most high end product that your average jo can buy off the shelf, but don't discredit the bodyshop and showcar ranges, #7 is still an awesome product in my opinion.

Have you guys in the US experienced the Dodo yet?

·
Registered
23,183 Posts
Are you kidding? Even if there was some bar residue left a quick spray and pass with the barr would take it off. Any QD residue will removed by the polish. There won't be any "loose bonded contaminants" in the QD residue because you washed the car first. Man, some of you guys sure like to do things the hard way.

·
4,974 Posts
X2 ^^ and how can you have loose bonded contaminats .. oxymoron. No wonder some people post it takes 4 hours to clay thier car. We get a lot of winter driven cars with hoards of rail dust etc on them and my partener and I clay those in a 1/2 hour .. total an hour. Clay by feel and sight and wipe off the QD .. don't wipe/polish it off to a shine .. your polishing after anyway and the polish will remove the residue QD .. If your going straight to a sealant you will use IPA or an AIO product first and it removes the QD residue. If a wax .. the solvents in the wax will remove it ..

·
Registered
5 Posts
oh no I see where you're coming from totally, but if I'm being paid to do a thorough job on a clients car, every detailer worth thier salt knows the key to a clear finish is good thorough prep work, it can't do any harm certainly to give the bodywork a quick going over after claying in my opinion, I guess I'm just anal and don't want anything other than polish on my pads, I do agree however that a family saloon should take no longer than an hour really, probably less if you're using Autosmart Tardis before hand.

·
4,974 Posts
oh no I see where you're coming from totally, but if I'm being paid to do a thorough job on a clients car, every detailer worth thier salt knows the key to a clear finish is good thorough prep work, it can't do any harm certainly to give the bodywork a quick going over after claying in my opinion, I guess I'm just anal and don't want anything other than polish on my pads, I do agree however that a family saloon should take no longer than an hour really, probably less if you're using Autosmart Tardis before hand.

And it really doesn't do any benifit .. thats where the wipedown and feeling comes in ...

I guess as a detailer .. I'm not worth my salt.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I guess as a detailer .. I'm not worth my salt
why? are you a detailer who doesn't prep before polish then ;) don't get your knickers in a twist mate, it's a 2 minute (if that) process out of god knows how many which I personally like to do!

if all detailers worked exactly the same way, we'd soon put each other out of business with different charges

How dare you charge people or put up your own website with detailing tips
yes, how darethey

·
Registered
53 Posts
I haven't seen a complete how-to on detailing our cars and I thought that this would be a good start to convincing our mods to start a detailing forum, so here's my detail of my B5.5 from yesterday.

great info. i plan on doing this to my passat once the weather allows me to do so.:thumbup:

101 - 120 of 133 Posts