81 - 100 of 134 Posts

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts

·
4,974 Posts
Well thanks for pointing it out, since that is when I started. :thumbup:
And like you .. I found that it actually works better than anything else. And lasts the longest.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
This is the most random selection of questionable detailing suggestions I've ever seen on here before... better results could be had with far higher quality products such as Zaino. Wal-Mart is not going to carry the proven solutions that most everyone else on here uses and trusts.

Methods like using two buckets makes no sense- the 'debris bucket' is still dirty water that you're plunging your sponge into. Just wash from the top down obviously best you can, but for big events like this, use a new sponge and fresh bucket of soapy water (Zaino car wash solution) with each step requiring a wash (before and after claying, for example). Make sure your microfiber towels aren't cheap ones made in China- there is a specific place to buy them from but it's been a few years now and I need new ones. They are not all created equal- quality is in the softness. Wash mitt wrist elastic areas don't seem paint friendly to me either- use a sponge. I'm always looking for the best one, and this may not be it, but I currently use chennelle cotton sponges made by TurtleWax from AutoZone at about 3 bucks a pop. I replace them monthly regardless- dirty and worn out or not.

I've also got questions about touching an orbital buffer with questionable applicator pads and vinegar solution to my paint, especially black like mine as well. There's also no need to 'mask off' your trim- not only is this far too much hassle and completely unnecessary, but if you're using polish or wax that is not friendly to Passat trim pieces, you should look elsewhere. And peanut butter on plastic trim? That was the last straw before I had to hit the 'Reply' button here. Yes I've heard of the method, and it's absurd- use Forever Black like everyone else does. That was the end-all-be-all standard for black plastic reconditioning last I checked.

Sorry, but these products shown and described are too questionable, generic, and leave much to be desired from at least my existing solution I've had in place for the last 7 years - the full Zaino procedure - proven the best in automotive circles everywhere. It takes twice as long to apply as what's described here, but the results are at least that much more worth it and it lasts for a year in my experience before needing it all again. Not bad for a day's work. www.zainobros.com

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,881 Posts
StattlichPassat said:
And peanut butter on plastic trim?
our resident tribologist has stated multiple times that the oils in peanut butter remove wax on our black textured lowers.

·
4,974 Posts
Speaking of hitting the reply button ... I think I will too .. and I'll post my responses in bold

This is the most random selection of questionable detailing suggestions I've ever seen on here before... better results could be had with far higher quality products such as Zaino. Wal-Mart is not going to carry the proven solutions that most everyone else on here uses and trusts.

Methods like using two buckets makes no sense- the 'debris bucket' is still dirty water that you're plunging your sponge into. Just wash from the top down obviously best you can, but for big events like this, use a new spongeA sponge allows no where for any grit on the car to go so basically your wet sanding your car ... sheepskim mitts offer a place for the grit to go and also rinse out easily where sponges don't. and fresh bucket of soapy water (Zaino car wash solution) with each step requiring a wash (before and after claying, for example). Make sure your microfiber towels aren't cheap ones made in China- The "name tag" on a micro fiber, really does not mean "doo-doo", it takes experience and regular use of a micro fiber to really tell one from the other.
Sort of like buying Hilfinger vs Reebok clothing.
Both have many clothing items that are produced by the same off-shore manufacturer, same fabric, just different style of the shape, and a different label.
There are ONLY 5 fabric manufacturers in the WORLD with the mills that can make micro fiber cloth.
They are only in China and Korea, the quality of the grade depends on what the "re-marketer" wishes to chose to have their "label" sewn onto.
One must have experience with fibers, etc to actually know which may perform better than another.
In short, there may be some Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Kroger, etc towels out there, which are superior to what a "enthusist" brand marketer may be selling for 3 times the price!
there is a specific place to buy them from but it's been a few years now and I need new ones. They are not all created equal- quality is in the softness. Wash mitt wrist elastic areas don't seem paint friendly to me either- use a sponge.See above I'm always looking for the best one, and this may not be it, but I currently use chennelle cotton sponges made by TurtleWax from AutoZone at about 3 bucks a pop. I replace them monthly regardless- dirty and worn out or not. Chenelle & cotton are both non-forgiving and abrasive

I've also got questions about touching an orbital buffer with questionable applicator pads And what brand do you suggest we stay away from?and vinegar solution to my paint white vinegar is appox a 3% acetic acid solution and is harmless to paint and used to remove water spots., especially black like mine as well. There's also no need to 'mask off' your trim- not only is this far too much hassle and completely unnecessary, but if you're using polish or wax that is not friendly to Passat trim pieces, you should look elsewhere And what brands do you suggest? . And peanut butter on plastic trim? That was the last straw before I had to hit the 'Reply' button here. Yes I've heard of the method, and it's absurd absured or not .. the oils in the P-Butter dissolve the a lot ( not all) of the wax residue that can get on textured trim, VW or not, Pink Pearl Eraser is anothet option.- use Forever Black If you want to cover it up like everyone else does. That was the end-all-be-all standard for black plastic reconditioning last I checked. I was one of the first to star using Forever Black tire Gel on lower trim and I discovered it worked by accident but it doesn't remove wax residue.

Sorry, but these products shown and described are too questionable, generic, and leave much to be desired from at least my existing solution I've had in place for the last 7 years - the full Zaino procedure - proven the best in automotive circles everywhere. It takes twice as long to apply as what's described here, but the results are at least that much more worth it and it lasts for a year in my experience before needing it all again. Not bad for a day's work. I use Zaino too and your not going to properly do Zaino in a day IF you polish the car out to swirl / marr free. Zaino requires extensive prep to look good or all you have is the shinyest swirled car on the block .. And prep = proper use of a PC or better , not just any orbital. Zaino is a cult ... not a save all solution. This being said from a high end detailer and a long time Zaino user.www.zainobros.com
Sorry if I popped your bubble.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
I've a LOT of different products over the years and I've found that even the stuff you get a Wal-Mart can provide excellent results if you use it properly. Yes, stepping up to the esoteric stuff can be easier, but mass marketed stuff like Mother's, Meguiar's, Turtle Wax, etc, can work just as well. It wasn't until I got my variant repainted that even tried Klasse and Menzerna. And yes, they were easier to use, but they weren't really any better looking.

Methods like using two buckets makes no sense- the 'debris bucket' is still dirty water that you're plunging your sponge into.
Except that with a single bucket method you have soapy water suspending the dirt. With the two bucket the dirt will fall down drastically reducing the amount of dirt on the mitt. And if you're using a sponge it won't matter anyway cuz that alone is bad for your paint.

Just wash from the top down obviously best you can, but for big events like this, use a new sponge and fresh bucket of soapy water (Zaino car wash solution) with each step requiring a wash (before and after claying, for example).
Ok, this is just plain silly. There is NO reason to wash after claying. None, Zero, zip, zilch, nada. Now after polishing I'd say yes. But claying? No way. Also, I don't knwo if you have a stake in Zaino, but there are tons of good soaps out there. Not to mention, if you're going to be claying, polishing and waxing, Dawn is better than ANY car soap because it'll save you a step by stripping the wax off the car so you don't have to.

Make sure your microfiber towels aren't cheap ones made in China- there is a specific place to buy them from but it's been a few years now and I need new ones. They are not all created equal- quality is in the softness.
Cobra microfibers are by far the best I've used. They're made in either China or Korea, but I really don't care where they're made, they're the heat.

Wash mitt wrist elastic areas don't seem paint friendly to me either- use a sponge. I'm always looking for the best one, and this may not be it, but I currently use chennelle cotton sponges made by TurtleWax from AutoZone at about 3 bucks a pop. I replace them monthly regardless- dirty and worn out or not.
Umm...the elastic is 1) softer than your sponge and 2) not making contact with the car.

I've also got questions about touching an orbital buffer with questionable applicator pads and vinegar solution to my paint, especially black like mine as well.
You REALLY need to spend some time on a good detailing forum. Really.

There's also no need to 'mask off' your trim- not only is this far too much hassle and completely unnecessary, but if you're using polish or wax that is not friendly to Passat trim pieces, you should look elsewhere.
What??? Are you serious? VERY few polishes and waxes won't leave a residue on plastic.

And peanut butter on plastic trim? That was the last straw before I had to hit the 'Reply' button here. Yes I've heard of the method, and it's absurd- use Forever Black like everyone else does. That was the end-all-be-all standard for black plastic reconditioning last I checked.
Forever Black DOES work, and so does peanut butter, especially if you only need a little bit of it. Why buy a whole bottle of Forever Black when you can use a teaspoon of something you probably already have in the house?

Sorry, but these products shown and described are too questionable, generic, and leave much to be desired from at least my existing solution I've had in place for the last 7 years - the full Zaino procedure - proven the best in automotive circles everywhere. It takes twice as long to apply as what's described here, but the results are at least that much more worth it and it lasts for a year in my experience before needing it all again. Not bad for a day's work. www.zainobros.com
Again, do you work for Zaino? It is NOT the end all be all of car products and NOTHING you put on your paint lasts a year. NOTHING.

·
Confused
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Nice Variant! I love the clay step. It makes the panels all butter smooth.

·
Registered
640 Posts
peanut butter does work... peanut oil is even better.... u just need to be sure to rub it in, and rub it off or else its really greasy.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Great Forum .great ideas .

to passat worl .
I care about my car so I am glad I found this forum on Wax on wax off.
Thanks guys..

·
Registered
640 Posts
agreed. props go to the members who suggest it, and of course, the greek who puts all of our requests in this place. thers no other community quite like this place :)

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I don't know, 2 weeks.

I've never had problems with Meguiars and they are all I have ever used.
Let's not get into a product flame fest. Who gives a shit what you use. Let the results speak for themselves.

To the op: Good job on the detail!

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
It's not about flaming products. It's a simple statement of fact. I've seen Zach's car numerous times and it ALWAYS looks good, even NOT using the boutique products. FWIW, the only brand that ever touched my Passat except for the VERY last time I polished it, was Meguiar's and I never had ANYONE have a negative thing to say about the finish.

Yes, some products are easier to use but as long as you have any kind of clue what you're doing, you can get show winning results with pretty much anything on the market.

Longevity, however, is a TOTALLY different issue I won't get into.

81 - 100 of 134 Posts