Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greeting
Is there any front brake rotors for b5.5 that is plug n play but have vents that are from inside?

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
Vents from inside?
All factory B5 & B5.5 front rotors are vented.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Emry ,
Yes my fault, i ask a wrong question.
By plug n play i mean that i dont change anything about hub and knuckle, yes if i need to go with tt carriers that is ok. But maybe there is some rotors from another car/brand that have same size 288 or 312mm, 25mm thickness... i have heard that maybe from merc c230 will fit to b5.5??

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Andreas vent from inside... you see diffrence in picture?
On passat b5.5/audi a4 rotors are vented from outside.
On other cars like bmw,merc they are vented from inside / side where is dust shield.
I need that for better cooling , i will make some brake ducts need that for track day. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
Gotcha,
Off the top of my head Audi A8 / S4 rotors are vented to the inside, but those are 345mm diameter if I'm not mistaken. Would require a change of caliper and mounting holes in the knuckle would need to be drilled from 14mm to 16mm.
I've heard of people using Mercedes rotors but most of those would require a change of caliper also.

Hopefully someone else can chime in here.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,023 Posts
The D2 A8 rotors do not vent to the backside.
They are 312mm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
I was referring to the D3 rotors for the A8 and I was wrong about the diameter. They're actually 360mm.
After checking notes I've squirreled away for doing my own brake swap (someday) this is what I have.
A8 (D3 2003-2010) Part# 4E0 698 301P - (360 X 34)
S4 (B6 2004-2005) Part# 8E0 615 301 T KT2 - (345 X 30)

Both of these rotors vent to the inside.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,023 Posts
FWIW, the D2 A8 312mm rotors used with mkI TT caliper carriers look just like that. Holes around the perimeter of the rotor hat.

Also, the offset of the caliper and carrier combo is what determines whether the vanes vent to the backside of the rotor vs the front side.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts