Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
Initial response to that, no.
If you really want to be sure, hold a straight edge like a steel rule or similar object against the flange face you fixed up. Check for daylight between the straight edge and flange face.
I'm sure you'll see some daylight, I would guess anything less than .025 you'll be just fine. If it's more than that, then maybe two gasket opposing each other would be the ticket.
What ultimately makes the seal is that round deformation in the metal gasket. As you tighten down the exhaust flange is compresses that deformed part of the gasket making the seal.
The rest of the 'thin' part of the gasket is only to keep the deformed portion in its proper location.
Does that make sense? Trying to break it down so all can understand.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Gotcha.
would you use a thin layer of exhaust putty with the gasket.
I know you are not into that but PZ might want to chime in.

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
I don't why I didn't think of this before, you could've taken a flat block of steel and laid it on top of the exhaust flange after smearing a coating of exhaust putty on it.
That way the block off steel would 'mush' everything flat, then there'd be no question as to it being flat.

But that's shoulda, woulda, coulda at this point time. I'm sure you'll be ok with what you got.

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
My guess is paint won't last long. As hot as the aft cats get and those clamps being such a short distance away from them, those clamps get pretty warm.
What I would do though, is take out the bolts from the clamp band, remove the clamp and coat (and I mean coat) the inside of the clamp band and bolts with high temp anti-seize compound and then re-assemble.
I did that with all of my cars. Makes removal a snap.

Here's what you want to use.

·
Moderator/Administrator
23,996 Posts
I can't remember, did you have any coolant/head gasket issues? White deposits on the O2 usually means coolant internal leak, silicone contamination or fuel contamination. How's your mileage?

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I can't remember, did you have any coolant/head gasket issues? White deposits on the O2 usually means coolant internal leak, silicone contamination or fuel contamination. How's your mileage?
Thank you VAG.
I get 33-34 mpg at 65mpg. No coolant reduction or anything. No codes. No power loss.
Could it be fuel additives? I use seafoam or Techron in tank every now and then .

·
Moderator/Administrator
23,996 Posts
If you have added cleaner recently or more often than say, once an oil change, that’s probably it. Nothing to be concerned about imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Moderator/Administrator
23,996 Posts
I'd just give it a go with some brake cleaner and stick it back in.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I ended up installing the cat and downpipe through the wheel area per chief’s suggestion. It worked.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts