Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Pull relay 173 from the fuse panel. Open the drivers door, use your key or a screw driver to pop off the fuse panel cover. There's enough of a gap that you can look through the fuse panel and see a square relay with the number "173" printed on it. Reach in, and pull it straight down to remove it.

That's it. No more DRL's. The first clockwise click on the Euroswitch will be the city lights front & rear; second click will be your normal night driving lights. Pulling the switch straight out is, at the first stop, front fogs (if equipped), and, at the second stop, the rear fog (if equipped).

·
Registered
95 Posts
or you can tape over some of the pins. For my B5.5 taping over
Pin B and 56D worked. There is a dyi guide on this site if you want to do a search. I didn't pull the relay b/c i didn't know if it controlled anything else.

·
Registered
828 Posts
It is easy, if you can see/get to it

In some cars, my 00' 1.8 Tip, for example, you can't see the 173 relay from the side (although pulling the switch allows you to see it from the front). More importantly, there isn't a lot of space back there. This makes it a non-trivial task to remove 173. I ended up removing the relay next to it, then 173, then replacing the first relay. Small hands with lots of dexiterity were in order.

In other cars, apparently, it is a piece of cake.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Possible stupid question BUT:

On my W8 with HIDS. Is it the same thing? (Relay 173)

Not excited about running expense lights in the day.

Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts