Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This car is new to me and for the life of me I cannot find where to drain the coolant. The guy I purchased the car from was running green coolant, so i'm putting a stop to that! I want to give my car as much TLC as I can.

Any additional tips etc would be great such as flushing the system etc.

Thanks!

·
Registered
402 Posts
USE G-12. You will probably have to go to the dealer to get it. It is pink. There is no real "valve" as in most other cars I have had. Here is what the manual says to do.

Repair Manual, Body Exterior, Repair Group 50

- Pull off bottom coolant hose retaining clip (arrow) and remove coolant hose from radiator.

- Unscrew coolant (ed-water) pump drain plug (arrow).

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks X

I'm suprised they don't have a valve to make the job easier...that's why I asked. I already purchased the G-12 so i'm all set.

Thanks again for your input.

·
Registered
103 Posts
On my 99 there is a valve behind the grill in the lower driver's side bumper. Pop out the grill, attach hose, open valve, and drain. You should be able to completely drain system by keeping valve open while care is running and pouring distilled water into tank. Once fluid from hose runs clear, drain about half the water and add the pink fluid. In your situation, there may be more that needs to be done. IIRC, the green fluid can degrade some cooling system components.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts