Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

My climatronic has problems to regulate from hot to cold, it can switch from hot to cold but it takes time and sometimes I need to turn off/on the tiptronic display to get it to work.

Sometimes the codes are triggered intermittent or faulty. What would the probable cause be?

Could it be a ground issue?

01271 Positioning Motor for Temperature Flap (v68) 37-00 - Faulty

01272 Positioning Motor for Central Flap (v70) 37-00 Faulty

01274 Air Flow Flap Positioning Motor (171) 37-00 Faulty

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
The four flap positioning motors are all wired directly to the Climatronic head unit.
Each positioning motor consists of a 12VDC motor and a potentiometer for position feedback. The head unit supplies 5VDC to the potentiometers and reads the voltage from the wiper to determine the position. Thus there are 5 wires to each positioner: 2 for the motor, 3 for the potentionmeter.

I suspect the most common issue is that the potentiomenters get dirty or worn with age and don't give a reliable feedback signal. My car with Climatronic (no longer with me) had occasional flap positioner faults, but it always worked fine. I could reset the errors and they'd stay away a while.
You can find the Climatronic write-up on the forum (it's a PDF) and use the built-in diagnostic modes to get some insight in to what's going on.

A few people have had consistent errors on all four flaps. In that case, the 5VDC power supply in the head unit has typically died; a head unit swap fixes it. But that doesn't sound like your issue.

The flap positioner motors are varying degrees of difficult to access, but if you can see yours (for the temperature flap, particularly), a squirt or two of electrical contact cleaner would be worth a try.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All servos work good and are quick. Only the hot/cold servo that's problematic, it's very slow.

Read somewhere that I can replace the hot/cold servo by removing the glove box.

I will try to find the pdf you mentioned.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
See this self diagnostic test. (Read second paragraph before using)
http://www.saunalahti.fi/~jues/Climatronic_Self_Diagnostics.pdf

Sometimes, running the "Actuator tests" a few times will clear the faults.
It would be a good idea to spray the potentiometers with contact cleaner first.
I get these error codes:
04F7 Temperature Flap Servo Motor
04F8 Central Flap Servo Motor
04FA Recirculation Flap Servo Motor

I have run the self test several times, but it stop and the error codes are present.

What should I do next?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts