Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all! New to Passat World, and thought I'd briefly introduce myself.

Long time VW owner. mk4 Jetta 2.0slow, mk4 golf tdi, mk4 vr6, b7 2.5, and now a B5.5 1.8t.

Bought this 1.8t awm with 167k for a few bucks. Car had been sitting for a bit prior to me getting it. Was told it had a major coolant leak and struggled to to start on first turn-over, among other things.

Fixed the coolant leaks and went through the entire vacuum system, intake, etc and replaced all damaged lines, non-return valves, etc. Flushed coolant. Drained oil. Etc.

Started car up, took for a spin. About thirty minutes into ride car the oil light started screaming to stop, followed by a pop and the car suddenly sounding like a tdi. The camshaft adjuster decided it wanted to go, or so I'd thought.

Went ahead and replaced it and went driving again to only have the oil light come back on.

Put two and two together and realized the oil feeder was probably clogged.

Dropped the pan (and all that fun crap that goes with it). Found this mess.

IMG_20191005_191400.jpg

Replaced the oil pump and feeder tube, cleaned crap out of pan and anywhere else I could reach, and put it back together.

Replaced the existing oem pump with a Vaico. During installation I noticed the sprocket had some play to it. Is this normal? Or should I drop the pan again and get that swapped out?

Rebuilt entire ventilation system. Pushed out a bunch of gunk from the breather lines, and replaced warn/clogged/broken parts.

Went ahead and popped off valve cover again to make sure there wasn't any issues with lubrication of camshaft caps.

Took camshaft exhaust/intake bearing caps off and on, one at time, starting with row 5 - front, to row 2 - rear, then 4, 3, 6, 1. Is there any issues with doing this this way?

In rows 3 & 4 I noticed a graying of the caps as well as small striations on the camshaft. Didn't take pic of the cams, but took a few of the exhaust caps. Notice the sediment has made its way to the top.

IMG_20200209_171426_2.jpg

Am I going to be running into issues because of this? What are your thoughts on this?

I've just finished putting everything back together, but haven't put the new oil in yet. Wanted some thoughts before I lube up and start up.

Also, I noticed after replacing the adjuster and timing belt (before this last round of fixes) that there was a small idling issue during startup, but the car drove fine without making any noise like a head and a valve coming together (prior to it screaming about being starved of oil).

Lastly, I didn't look at the oil feeder line or return. Should I take them both out and clean and/or replace?

Think this could have been caused by the lack of oil flowing through the system, and that it will rectify itself now that oil can flow freely again?

Any and all insight would be appreciated. Sorry for the long post. Thanks all!

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
If it were me...
I can't remember how the 1.8 turbo gets it's oil, (stainless oil line?) I would make sure whatever feeds the turbo for oil supply is free and clear. Also check the oil return line back to the oil pan. It sounds like you've covered most of the other important items.

I would put it back together, fill it with some of the cheapest oil you can find, spin a new filter on and pour in a couple cans of Sea-Foam in with the oil and just let the engine run at idle for a couple hours. Let that Sea-Foam work on all of the oil feed orifices and hopefully clear it out of excess residue deep down in the bowels of the engine you can't reach..
I had bought a Passat with a V6 that was all coked up with nasty very old oil, but I didn't want to tear into it that deep. So I drained the oil, changed the filter, put in some Rotella oil, couple cans of Sea-Foam and ran the engine for a number of hours, even took the valve covers off and then ran the engine again to see how much oil was getting to the top end. Yeah it created a huge mess but I was certain everything was in working order.

After all this I would drain the oil, change the filter, pull off those old cam caps and replace them with some good used ones. They look pretty worn.
Used cam caps are readily available. I've provided a link below for an example. I purchase stuff from them fairly often. They're legit and they don't sell junk.
carparts4sale.com

Seeing as 1.8's are known to have oiling sludge problems, I would probably for good measure install a mechanical oil pressure gauge just be certain your getting proper pressure at all times.

Welcome to the forum. You're certainly in the right place.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
As AP says, you are in the right place ! Looks like an 03? and Fresco Green ? Couple things ,when you say the oil pump sprocket had some play, I assume you mean the chain......if indeed that is the case and I assume you did everything from underneath, the tensioner is probably shot, maybe the spring or its plastic shoe. Appears to not have used synthetic oil. Cleaning all the crap out is essential, and during the suggested "flush" after all your work I would use a "big kahuna" oil filter from now on out,the Purolator L40316 (made by Mann)or Mann 940/25. Oil filters have a built in pressure relief valve so once the filter is clogged the oil bypasses it as need be, which would explain all the crap everywhere (oil changes probably neglected). Two things to keep an eye on, is the CCT which is sensitive to crap even though it has a built in screen , failure indicated by retard or advance codes popping up on intake cam sensor,and the turbo feed line, it comes off the oil filter housing and snakes its way behind engine and across and above cat. This path of course exposes it to heat and tends to internally bake oil on its interior walls. Eventually I would replace. What I have done in past is remove from filter housing, (and one other mount) tie a piece of mason's twine to it and snake it thru it thru to the turbo side ,then use twine to guide it back thru the original routing,'cause it's a can of worms,jungle of wires and hoses back in there. Paasssaaaaat Awaaayyyyyy!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for the responses!

I'll run some sea foam through her with some inexpensive oil and a nice large filter.

Cchief22 - the play I'm referring to is the pump itself. When off the car, I could feel/hear a little back and fourth play of the sprocket.

In regards to the CCT, think I should take the cover back off and check it? I didn't remove it this round of repairs, just checked the cam caps.

When the first one blew, I noticed the screen was gone. Think it blew into the internals of the CCT?

Thanks you guys! Glad to be here!

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
pump is fine I am sure,as to your new CCT it should be fine if it has a screen, you will know if CCT is clogged or compromised as cam code will pop up. Old screen of CCT is in "Passat Purgatory"

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
pump is fine I am sure,as to your new CCT it should be fine if it has a screen, you will know if CCT is clogged or compromised as cam code will pop up. Old screen of CCT is in "Passat Purgatory"

This was the only code she was throwing prior to this round of repairs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Two things to keep an eye on, is the CCT which is sensitive to crap even though it has a built in screen , failure indicated by retard or advance codes popping up on intake cam sensor,and the turbo feed line, it comes off the oil filter housing and snakes its way behind engine and across and above cat. This path of course exposes it to heat and tends to internally bake oil on its interior walls. Eventually I would replace. What I have done in past is remove from filter housing, (and one other mount) tie a piece of mason's twine to it and snake it thru it thru to the turbo side ,then use twine to guide it back thru the original routing,'cause it's a can of worms,jungle of wires and hoses back in there. Paasssaaaaat Awaaayyyyyy!
Gotta love that cluster of crap they have under the intake manifold! Was the most frustrating area to work on.

I'll get those lines off and give em a cleaning. Ty!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Was after replacement.

She would idle kinda rough, but then be fine during normal running. Well, the short trip i did take with her.

Wasn't sure if this was a result of the lack of oil pressure not allowing things to adjust.

This was also occuring.

Now that she's back together and cleaned out, I will clear everything and see what it reads after a few trips.

·
Registered
27,108 Posts
I expect the timing for the cam chain is not set correctly, probably 1 link out. With the engine at TDC, make certain the marks on the cams line up with the marks on the cam caps under the valve cover. I also suspect a vacuum leak or a bad replacement part.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Definitely agree with PZ on that. Your timing has got to be off for it to be misfiring on both sides of the engine.
Check all of your vacuum lines, especially the PCV system.

Reactions: tyani7505

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Definitely agree with PZ on that. Your timing has got to be off for it to be misfiring on both sides of the engine.
Thanks everyone! I'll be putting oil and seafoam in her this weekend. Will let you all know how everything goes.

Thanks for the help!

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,194 Posts
1.8T. Only one side to this engine, really ;) .

Reactions: PZ and tyani7505

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
1.8T. Only one side to this engine, really ;) .
Doh!
Again, thanks for calling me out and keeping me in check. I have this confused with another thread. I really need to pay more attention.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,194 Posts
Doh!
Again, thanks for calling me out and keeping me in check. I have this confused with another thread. I really need to pay more attention.
It's all good, buddy. Just poking a little fun

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Is there a prime proceedure for the AWM? I wanna make sure I have everything lubed up before I turn her over.

·
Registered
27,108 Posts
You could pull the fuel pump fuse or relay and crank it for a few seconds. I never have, I've only primed replacement turbos. If the head is rebuilt, I put some oil on the lobes if there is no assembly lube.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts