Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2004 VW Passat 1.8t automatic
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I was just wondering if anyone has any info on an auto transmission swap with the 1.8t. Is it any easier to drop the subframe with the motor and transmission to swap out the transmission or is it about the same as just dropping the transmission? I have already pulled one transmission by itself and it was kind of a pain to get it out of the car so I was just curious if it would be an easier task to drop the subframe.

Thank you for any help.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I've dropped an auto on a B5 a few of times. When you took the auto out, you had to drop the subframe to get the trans out. Is that correct?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've dropped an auto on a B5 a few of times. When you took the auto out, you had to drop the subframe to get the trans out. Is that correct?
No I didn't drop the subframe all the way out I just loosened it some to give me some room to get the transmission to wiggle out. It was tight but it did come out finally lol. I did have the bolts all but out that's why I was wondering if it would be easier just to undo the lines and wire harnesses and pull it all the way out and remove the transmission and replace.

·
Registered
196 Posts
It's a tight wiggle if you do it that way. If you have the engine hanging on an engine support beam or something similar
( 1000 lb. Capacity Engine Support Bar )
You just remove the shock bolts and drop the sub frame further down. Much more room.
If you are not doing this on a lift, and going the whole engine and trans route, you could pull the combo out from the front of the car instead of going out from the bottom. You don't have to mess with the sub frame doing it this way.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a tight wiggle if you do it that way. If you have the engine hanging on an engine support beam or something similar
( 1000 lb. Capacity Engine Support Bar )
You just remove the shock bolts and drop the sub frame further down. Much more room.
If you are not doing this on a lift, and going the whole engine and trans route, you could pull the combo out from the front of the car instead of going out from the bottom. You don't have to mess with the sub frame doing it this way.
OK I will give that a try. Sounds like it should go a little better the way you described. One things for sure, is it sure can't be any worse lol. Thank you(y)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts