Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've read as much as I could on 228mm clutch upgrades/DMF lifespan. There is surprisingly little definitive info out there.

So, how about the 6-speed transmission mated to the AVF engine? Has anyone experience a failure of that gearbox? If so, what model year and at what mileage? Was the engine tuned? Is there any wisdom that says if the gearbox survives to 100,000 kms or 150,000 kms it likely isn't afflicted with the weak diff rivet problem?

I'm trying to find out if it is at all safe to buy a Passat with that engine/gearbox combo (there are more of those for sale - perhaps for good reason?) or stick with the AWX/5-speed combo and try to find a clutch that will survive a mild tune.

Thanks,
Glenn

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
I have a 2004 B5.5 4Motion with the AVF 6 Speed combination. It was purchased used in 2008 with ~ 142K kms. Shortly after the engine was tuned to ~170 hp. Yesterday the odometer turned over 310K kms without any transmission problems whatsoever. The only thing I have done is change all the fluids in the driveline as preventative care.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 2004 B5.5 4Motion with the AVF 6 Speed combination. It was purchased used in 2008 with ~ 142K kms. Shortly after the engine was tuned to ~170 hp. Yesterday the odometer turned over 310K kms without any transmission problems whatsoever. The only thing I have done is change all the fluids in the driveline as preventative care.
Awesome! Currently in Vienna. Slovakia tomorrow.

·
Registered
26,105 Posts
Very few people have the 6sp B5. They were not offered in the US as the TDI 4Motion was not sold here (It really should have been).
The main weakness in the 6sp was the 1-2 shift fork and syncros. I swapped a 6sp into my 4Mo Passat along with the 1.8T, I wish I had the TDI version.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts