Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've changed wheel bearings on a couple of front Mazda hubs which are similar to the Passat, I don't like doing it under a schedule because they don't always go smoothly.

Instead, I was willing to spend the ~$100 more on an entire hub assembly from AutoZone. Once I had it all apart, to the point of removing the old bearing, I looked at the new one in the box and noticed it was missing a hole for the ABS sensor! Damnit, wrong part!

I double checked AZ's website, yup, same part listed. Go down to the store and returned it.

Went to Advance and they can't even order one to the store, but at least theirs shows the ABS sensor in the picture.

Rock Auto doesn't seem to sell the hub assembly complete.

Is there somewhere other than Advance and the dealer who would have a complete front hub assembly?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I suppose I could buy a used hub off someone to swap the bearing on in my spare time. Unfortunately, now that I took out the axle bolt and put it back in, the bearing is grinding going straight, not just to the right, so I'm under a time crunch.

·
I break for old people
7,516 Posts
Theres one 4-motion at my local pick-and-play junk yard. I'll look at the condition of the assembly Thursday and get you a price if you want?

It's a temporary solution for now.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's not it.

Theres one 4-motion at my local pick-and-play junk yard. I'll look at the condition of the assembly Thursday and get you a price if you want?

That'd be awesome. Like I said before, if I had a used hub, I could swap the bearing without the pressure of being out of a car.

I'm local to you, so I could even drive out to grab it from you if the price made it worth while.

·
I break for old people
7,516 Posts
I'm going to the yard Thursday for a few things. I could pull it than.

PM if serious, we can work something out.

·
Old Man Tan
3,685 Posts

just have to pay attention- 04 & 05 are different. not sure what the OP has. besides those two years, all other 5.5's are the same, 4mo and fwd. b5 v6 uses the same as all b5.5's, b5 1.8t uses smaller wheel bearings. you go to Worcester sam's? last time i was there, it was pretty slim pickins.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
If you're only replacing the wheel bearing, why not just pull your entire hub assembly and have a shop press the new bearing in for you?
x2

With all that messing around with old parts and a used bearing and then pressing out and pressing in, kinda sketchy in my book anyyways.
You can get a Chinese wheel bearing for around $40-$50 per bearing and the good stuff $90-$130 per bearing.
I just replaced both of mine on my '04 a few months ago. I got the top quality ones. Did all the press work myself. I'm fortunate to have a hyd press at my disposal. :wrench:

·
I break for old people
7,516 Posts
just have to pay attention- 04 & 05 are different. not sure what the OP has. besides those two years, all other 5.5's are the same, 4mo and fwd. b5 v6 uses the same as all b5.5's, b5 1.8t uses smaller wheel bearings. you go to Worcester sam's? last time i was there, it was pretty slim pickins.
Ahh, thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a 2005, thought that was in my profile but I guess not.

I have a 20T press in my garage, just haven't had the best time changing out this style bearing in the past (on a Mazda, required removing the whole knuckle unlike the VW). I'm just a weekend warrior with a lot of tools.

·
I break for old people
7,516 Posts
I believe the one in the yard had turn signals on the mirrors and not on the fenders so I'l have to see what year it is when I go.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Any luck on the hub Bdubskii?

I bought a bearing today for ~$53 at AutoZone. Can't get the upper or lower control arms off, what a pain. Any luck you want to come my way (01527) and help me out for some cash if you've done this before sometime this weekend? I've got a 20 ton press.

·
I break for old people
7,516 Posts
I never got to go to the yard that day, got into a car accident that morning :(

I can't help you this weekend, still healing my two broken ribs and bruises but if you need help any other weekend I'll be around, sorry brotha.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Any luck on the hub Bdubskii?

I bought a bearing today for ~$53 at AutoZone. Can't get the upper or lower control arms off, what a pain. Any luck you want to come my way (01527) and help me out for some cash if you've done this before sometime this weekend? I've got a 20 ton press.
Whats giving you problems in removing the upper and lower control arms? If you've gotten the bolts loose then you need something to vibrate them apart (HAMMER) or one of those spreaders? I think their called..

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Called around and a local VW dealer will do the job for $300 with bearing. I have an appointment for the 9th.

I used to spend lots of time to work on cars, but as I've gotten older, I have other things I'd rather be working on and can afford getting it fixed for that little.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Okay, so this story is wrapped up. The bearing was changed yesterday in what seems to be about an hour by the local VW dealer as they called me to say the guy just pulled it in an hour before I picked it up. The service writer said it would be $390, to which I said the quote was $318. He said "oh, I see they must have only charged for 1.5 hours instead of 2"... I remained silent. He said "I'll take care of this."

The guy then goes in to say how the cam shaft seal is leaking and that's $512 or so. I said I just went 6k on an oil change and didn't lose even a quart, so it'll have to get a lot worse before I will pay $500+ for a repair.

Get there to pick up the car, service writer is MIA. Cashier grabs my keys off his desk along with the paperwork. Wrong key.. gave me one that broke in half in my hand. I noticed the panic button wasn't broken so I knew it wasn't mine. It'd been figured out eventually anyway, as it obviously wouldn't have worked in my car.

Cashier says they do a 120+ point inspection and everything looks great... to which I said that was interesting because the service writer mentioned the cam shaft seal was leaking. She was baffled. Apparently the 120+ point inspection paper wasn't mine.. She flips over the invoice and sees I need a valve cover gasket, but no mention of the cam shaft seal . . . I changed the VCG when I did the timing belt about 8-10k miles ago, so it should be good... and again, just changed the oil at 6k miles and didn't lose a quart, so I'm all set with that.

Well, they may do reasonably cheap work, but I'll keep an eye out for bait and switch on the price and won't necessarily rely on them for a diagnosis of something I'm not exactly sure is wrong.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts