Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2003 glx 4motion v6
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been doing some research on checking and replacing the 3 Differential spots. 1 in the rear, 1 right after the tranny (above the cats), and one spot on the wheel well (drivers side I think). Can anyone confirm what type of gear oil I should use?
Im not too knowledgeable about passats as I just got one or 4wd systems. Where is the transfer case located and is it one of the 3 spots that I listed needed to be checked? I assume its the middle one (above the cats) because it's right after the tranny brining power to the rear but im not entirely sure and am reading unsure information else where to say what are the differentials and what is the transfer case.

Sorry if this is confusing. If need for more explanation please let me know! Thanks

·
Registered
27,352 Posts
For a Tip trans, you can use regular gear oil, but I would use full synthetic (75W90 should be the standard weight).
For a manual trans, which would include the front and center differential, you need to use GL-4 oil.
The transfer case is the center differential.

·
Registered
2003 glx 4motion v6
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For a Tip trans, you can use regular gear oil, but I would use full synthetic (75W90 should be the standard weight).
For a manual trans, which would include the front and center differential, you need to use GL-4 oil.
The transfer case is the center differential.
Yes I have the tip transmission, 75W90 should work for all 3 of areas?

Thank you so much!

·
Registered
27,352 Posts
Yes. The front should hold about .75L, the center about 1L and the rear about 1.5L if you manage to get everything out. The front does not have a drain, you need a suction pump to remove the gear oil.

Reactions: BamBamSorg
1 - 5 of 5 Posts