Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guyz/Girlz, I in my first Audi/VW. It's a '01 2.8L. It ran like a top for the first 6month (I'm only the second owner and the car is in excellent condition, and came with a a binder almost 2" thick of it's service history all done at the dealer.
My first problem happens (I think it was my fault) when I let the fuel level get low for the first time (down too 10mile left tell empty on the LCD).
When I went to start it up too go get gas it cranked over/started up for 5 second and then stalled.
Ever since then even with gas in it, it will only run intell the engine heats up then it will stall and not start again tell it cools off again (usually 20+min) I have read on anothe form that this same thing has happened too there after letting the fuel level get too low but I haven't been able too find and one that has said what exactly it is. Some talk about it being the fuel pump. When I turn the key to the on position I can hear the fuel pump prime the first time that I (try) start it but once it stalls the fuel pump doesn't seem too prime again tell after the 20min+ "Cool down".
So I dont know it seems too me like maybe a vacuum leak somewhere...
Any replys would be awesome! Before I just start throwing money at parts!!! Definitely not going to trough money at a dealership's hourly rate!!!
Thanks alot

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
I don't think that running the tank low is the issue. While not such a good idea to run almost empty (I admit to doing it every so often) it shouldn't hurt the car.

So it runs OK, until the coolant temp gauge says normal, then the motor just quits? Could be a number of things, perhaps an engine speed or temperature sensor, but a 'vacuum leak' of the usual kind won't stall a running engine. A fuel pump on the verge of failure might do this. VAG-COM aka VCDS diagnostics on a laptop computer and connected to your car by a Ross-Tech cable probably would provide clues.

·
Registered
26,585 Posts
FWD or 4Mo? I would pull the fuel pump cover and see if the pump runs after it has stalled. Put 12V on the pump to make certain. With the symptoms, it's possible the pump is starting to fail.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
If problem started right after you let it get down that low, then I would suspect the fuel pump. One of my V6's had a simular problem, but had symptoms with a full tank of gas. Turns out the fuel pump was bad. It would work for long periods of time (days) and then suddenly intermittently cause the car to stumble.

Dealer would charge north of $700 for fuel pump change.
Sample prices here

Testing the fuel pump can be done relatively easy.
Crawl into the trunk and swap it out yourself. If that indeed is the problem.

·
in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
2,327 Posts
If the fuel level was so low, it is a good possibility that some of the junk that always reside at the bottom of the tank is sucked up and clogged up the fuel filter. I suggest you change it as it is a cheap and easy-to-replace part.

·
Registered
306 Posts
in my VW ('02 GLX 4 Mo 2.8L ATQ A/T wagon 131K miles), I've driven about ten miles after it said 0 miles left to go...a couple of times. Granted a lot of that was in neutral and going downhill.
I never had any of the issues mentioned. This was done a couple of times in the last 10k miles.

·
Registered
26,585 Posts
The fuel pump screen/inlet is at the bottom of the tank, if there is any junk at the bottom, it is always pulled to the screen. I would change the fuel filter anyway, but not from running the tank low.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I agree with the others.

Having the fuel pump submerged in fuel is what keeps it from over heating. Running the tank that low exposes the pump and it heats up. Causing premature failure. If you are fine till the car gets up to temp then it quits till it cools down could very well be the pump is struggling then over heats and shuts off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts