Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone,

for the last few months there's been this sound in my car. It's almost like a wobble, or rotation of some sort. It's faster when I'm driving faster, slower when I'm decelerating. It's heard well in the cabin but it's almost unnoticeable from outside the car.

It can't be heard when the steering wheel is pointed right, but when it's straight or pointed left the sound is there. Also, when I'm turning sharper and the speed is higher it can be felt on the wheel.

I have recorded some of the sounds and I will try to put them in this post. I would be really thankful if someone could help me identify the problem.

Sound clips:
sound1 - Clyp
sounds2 - Clyp
sound3 - Clyp

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I didn't listen to the sounds but I would start by jacking up each side of the car and then checking for looseness or play in the wheel. Do this by grabbing the wheel on opposite left/right sides (9 o'clock position and 3 o'clock position) and trying to push/pull the wheel. Do the same on the 12 o'clock and 6' o'clock (top/bottom) positions. If you feel any play there is a problem. Also spin the wheel to see how the wheel bearings feel. That is more subjective but if the wheel has a harsh sound or feel, it's probably the wheel bearings. You can compare right to left here also. They should be the same. Finally, exchange the front wheels with the rears and take it for a drive. It could be one of the front tires has a problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't listen to the sounds but I would start by jacking up each side of the car and then checking for looseness or play in the wheel. Do this by grabbing the wheel on opposite left/right sides (9 o'clock position and 3 o'clock position) and trying to push/pull the wheel. Do the same on the 12 o'clock and 6' o'clock (top/bottom) positions. If you feel any play there is a problem. Also spin the wheel to see how the wheel bearings feel. That is more subjective but if the wheel has a harsh sound or feel, it's probably the wheel bearings. You can compare right to left here also. They should be the same. Finally, exchange the front wheels with the rears and take it for a drive. It could be one of the front tires has a problem.
Thanks for the reply. Will check it out ASAP.

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
Basically the same as what Iowegian mentioned.

This is from one of my posts a while back.

Lift the front end, make sure the steering wheel is locked, grab the tires at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock and try and move fore and aft. There should no movement. If it moves, it could any one of the (5) ball joints (tie rod end, upper front and rear control arms, lower front and rear control arms) and possibly a bad wheel bearing.
Then check at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock, that checks for a bad wheel bearing. Again, there should no movement.

Rotating the wheel there should not be any noises coming from the bearings. you might get a bit of drag from the brakes but that makes an entirely different noise compared to a bearing noise.
If you have the ability, you might also want to remove the tire/wheel and the brake rotor and then spin the wheel hub. While slowly rotating the wheel hub you'll want to 'feel' how the hub rotates. It should be a fluid consistent motion with no catches, bumps, or ticks with no noises.

Also, with the wheel off the ground (tire on the car) spin the tire looking directly at the tread. As the wheel turns the tread should spin in a perfect linear fashion. If it looks as though it has wobble to it, that's an indication that the construction of the tire is compromised. A wobble to the tire tread usually is the result from tire ply separation. Generally speaking a tire of lesser quality will be more susceptible to this type of failure.

Matter of fact my wife's car had this exact problem twice already this year.

After listening to the sound clips, to me it sounds as though it is tire related either by a severe imbalance or a tire wear problem.
Are you able to feel the car shake or vibrate while driving?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Basically the same as what Iowegian mentioned.

This is from one of my posts a while back.

Lift the front end, make sure the steering wheel is locked, grab the tires at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock and try and move fore and aft. There should no movement. If it moves, it could any one of the (5) ball joints (tie rod end, upper front and rear control arms, lower front and rear control arms) and possibly a bad wheel bearing.
Then check at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock, that checks for a bad wheel bearing. Again, there should no movement.

Rotating the wheel there should not be any noises coming from the bearings. you might get a bit of drag from the brakes but that makes an entirely different noise compared to a bearing noise.
If you have the ability, you might also want to remove the tire/wheel and the brake rotor and then spin the wheel hub. While slowly rotating the wheel hub you'll want to 'feel' how the hub rotates. It should be a fluid consistent motion with no catches, bumps, or ticks with no noises.

Also, with the wheel off the ground (tire on the car) spin the tire looking directly at the tread. As the wheel turns the tread should spin in a perfect linear fashion. If it looks as though it has wobble to it, that's an indication that the construction of the tire is compromised. A wobble to the tire tread usually is the result from tire ply separation. Generally speaking a tire of lesser quality will be more susceptible to this type of failure.

Matter of fact my wife's car had this exact problem twice already this year.

After listening to the sound clips, to me it sounds as though it is tire related either by a severe imbalance or a tire wear problem.
Are you able to feel the car shake or vibrate while driving?
Sorry for the late answer, just managed to get the time to mess around the car a bit.

So, tried switching the tires around and the sound persists, unchanged.
There is no play on the wheel when lifted.
The car has some vibration but only when it's idling or in neutral, it's all fine when I'm driving.

I'm planning to take it to a mechanic next week to check it out. The sound is SO annoying + it may be dangerous so better not take any chances.

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
Dual mass flywheel?
Guessing here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not really knowledgeable about mechanics but I doubt that it can be the flywheel when operating the steering wheel has the effect on the sound and feel. I'll update you when I find out whats the problem. Thanks for you help!

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
but I doubt that it can be the flywheel when operating the steering wheel
Sorry about that.
I didn't reread the whole post and I had forgotten about that part.
If you notice a noise consistent with steering, it could potentially be the CV-joints on the axles.

What year is the car?
How many miles / kilometers on the car?
Have the axles ever been changed?
Is there grease splattered on the insides of your front wheels and or underneath the car where the axles are bolted to the transmission?

If there is grease getting whipped out of the CV-joints then that needs to be looked at, potentially the cause of your problem.

·
Registered
26,992 Posts
Since it changes based on wheel position, I would suspect a bad wheel bearing. They will often make noise long before you can feel play in them. The fact that it's only heard when straight or turning to the left makes me more certain it's the wheel bearing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts