Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it looks like I have more problems than just a couple of CEL codes. I'm leaking freaking oil everywhere!! It looks like it is coming out from around the oil cooler. From above the cooler, not where the oil filter attaches. What a mess!

If I leave the coolant hoses attached, can I remove the oil cooler so I can try to replace the gasket that goes at the top of the cooler? Or will coolant leak everywhere when I remove the oil cooler?

thanks!!

·
Registered
569 Posts
Also, are you sure its not the oil pressure switch, part # 068-919-081? That fixed an oil leak that I had last weekend.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the area around the oil pressure switch looks dry. Besides, I am loosing ALOT of oil, to the point where the oil level barely registers on the dipstick.

This isn't a slow leak, it happened all of a sudden yesterday morning.

Thanks

·
Registered
140 Posts
It's really easy to drain the coolant and oil to replace the oil cooler. The seal on top is a kind of O-ring. Are you due for a coolant change anyway? If not, collect it in a clean container and reuse it. When you put the coolant back in, remember to get the air out of the system before driving -- you do that at the heater hose, near the firewall.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had exactly the same problem on my 99 1.8T over in December.

After fighting with getting the oil filter off - and ending up with a set of new filter wrenches and a specialty tool to remove the remaining oil filter base after the top of the filter tore off - I bit the bullet, used my AAA membership (again) and had it towed in to the local Indy shop (VolksDoktor in Louisville, KY). They had to resort to using an air chisel to get the filter base off and replaced the oil cooler for me for under $200 (I provided the new oil, oil filter, oil cooler gasket and oil cooler hoses; they provided a used oil cooler).

Well worth the money in my book - by far the cheapest repair I've had the pleasure of paying for on this car.

fpsm

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I was able to fix this. Once I removed the oil filter I had to remove a 27mm nut that held the oil cooler on. I was able to remove the cooler without loosing or draining the coolant which was a plus.

The culprit of my oil leak was the rubber o-ring gasket on top of the cooler. Replaced it, put everything back together and no more leak. The fix was faster than the time it took me to clean the engine and all of the oil on my garage floor !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts