1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

Here's my baby!

Year 2000 model 1.8T Tiptronic

Christened 'Buttercup' by my gf (my previous Passat 1995 VR6 I called 'battlecat' and I guess she wanted something more girlie :roll: )

Upgraded wheels - 17" VW Phoenix alloys with 215/45/17 Avon ZZ3 tyres

Factory Xenons with high pressure washers

Alpine Head Unit with DVD Satellite Navigation

Specifications
  • Year 2000 1.8T 150bhp
    Tiptronic 5-speed Gearbox
    Right-Hand Drive (is there another way? 8))
    Rain Sensing Wipers
    Climatronic Air Conditioning
    Cruise Control
    Clifford Alam system with remote engine start
    and more...

Wish List
  • Rear Parking Sensors
    ECU Chip (probably UPSolute)
    New DV
    Front Fogs (Vestatec but can't find any!)

Hope you like her, I do... :lol:

·
Registered
606 Posts
nice car !

I'm hoping to purchase a B5.5 very soon.

Was it easy to source the Phoenix wheels ? I assume you didn't pay dealer price for them? They are my favourite OEM wheels for the B5 and what i'm looking for.

Upsolute is definately the cheapest chip, but there are also others such as Revo, Jabba whom do a custom remap specific to your engine code.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nice ride u got, but she mabye would like a lowering kit
Nah! The Sport suspension is perfect with these wheels. I think the lowered look is far too harsh and makes the car look awkward. I guess everyone has an opinion though!

Marc: Thanks for the compliment! The wheels came from a guy on eBay, who'd just bought himself a Golf R32 - he sold his B5 with the standard wheels as he figured he'd get more for the Phoenix's privately. I paid just under £600 including the tyres which only had 1,000 miles on them! Talk about a scoop! They transform the handling from the 15's before - I love them.

Would be nice to find someone local who's had the chip upgrade to try... Everyone on here raves about them but I'd love a test drive!

·
Registered
606 Posts
Bulletcom,

looks like you got a good price for the wheels !

I've got 17" Santa Monica Alloys on my Bora currently, which also made quite a difference to the stock 16" Alloys, going from 205 to 225 width tyres.

If only the PCD was the same on the Passat as the Bora/Golf, I would keep them and tfr them over, but its not (Golf/Bora 5 x 100 - Passat 5 x 112 I believe).

If you want to sample a chip, revo do a five hour trial (free) for certain 1.8T VAG engines, it depends i think whether yours is Drive by wire or non drive by wire (your engine code will confirm this). Take a look at www.revotechnik.com for further info and to find your local dealer.

Although its not a Passat forum, if your not already aware of it, take a look over at www.uk-mkivs.net a forum for Golf/Bora MK4 owners. There are loads of UK members and hundreds of chipped 1.8T owners, your bound to find someone local in your area would would be willing to take you for a spin in their chipped turbo, or get along to one of the meets. Although the Golf handles slightly differently to the Passat, you would definately get a feel for the increase in power. I've been in a couple of fast golf's a 320bhp IHI turbo converted GTI and the awesome R32 (members from the forum).

BTW i totally agree with you re the lowering issue !! too many people do it just to look good. If your after performance enhancing suspension mods, I believe they should be done in the following order:

1) shocks (such as Koni yellows)
2) ARB's (anti roll bars)
3) springs

Good luck.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another Satin Silver I see! God I love this colour - so easy to keep clean too!

You're right with the PCD's - although I think I read somewhere that the earlier Golfs were 5x100 but the newer ones are 5x112... Can't be conclusive as I read a load of stuff about the Passat wheels before I found the Phoenix's... :???:

Yeah the revo site I've seen before - I like the idea of the switchable programming, but £500 is a lot of dosh when you can get the upsolute for £300-ish... Not sure I'd want to switch back to standard but my g/f is learning to drive so I'd probably ask for a crawler version! :lol: Nothing more than 30mph please Mr Revo!

No, I think I'll go for the upsolute chip and probably a new DV, they seem to recommend the Forge 007 as a good match for the ups chip.

Will let you know how it goes!

David :thumbup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.