Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought this '97 Passat VR6 today and sincerely hope I'm not irritating more knowledgeable veterans right out of the gates here. Not my intentions for what it's worth. First thing I did was read the page about knowing what you have, but can only assume I have a B4 based on the (1997 was Euro spec otherwise it was '98) for a B5 car. So, I'd like to ask if someone could please clarify for me what I actually have and please tell me if the '97s came with a keyless entry fob with the keys? Looks like I was only given 2 "spares" for opening/igniting utensils for this car. I'm new on this forum, but have been around various other forums for years now. Wish there was a (maybe there is?) project page as I've got a project ahead of me. More to follow, hopefully in the appropriate areas! Here's the couple/only pics taken so far of the Passat, it's definitely got potential! Sincerest thanks and appreciation in advance! I'm eager to get busy on this car and already can't wait until I at least have the dashboard removed. Heater core replacement is how I'll be de-virginizing myself to VW's! Exciting times.

Attachments

·
Registered
926 Posts
Nobody's mad, welcome to Passat-land!

Your new one is a B4; they were a facelifted B3, and made from '93 to '97.

I have no idea what the original keys were like, or if there was a fob as well.

This is a B5 forum; you'll find more model-specific discussion here and here.

·
Administrator
23,356 Posts
moved.

That thing looks in pretty good shape! Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I was fairly confident that I had posted in the wrong forum which is why I apologized in advance. Appreciate the understanding. Thank you for clarifying what gen I actually have. Seems like '97 was a cut-off year which I'm thinking might make it tricky when ordering new parts? Gonna need a lot of 'em. For a '97 with 160k on it, the car isn't in bad shape. I want to fix and clean it up so I can hopefully get a few winters out of it. 5-6k a year probably. Now that I'm in the right forum, could I ask for someone to help me understand what the "SAFE" reading means on the radio display when I turn it on? Radio doesn't work just displays that reading and nothing else.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Mid-year cutoffs continue; the B5 morphed into the B5.5 in the middle of 2001. Sometimes parts suppliers will present parts "up to VIN ________" or "from VIN_________" to make your purchase easier.

The radio has a security code (a four-digit number) which must be entered in the radio before it will operate. The word "safe" indicates that the security code has not been entered; this usually happens when a radio from a different car (from a junkyard or an eBay seller) is installed.

You can find instructions online on what buttons to press in what order to enter the number. It is not intuitive.

In the newer B5 cars, the radio number is often written down in the owner's manual, or sometimes on the options tag (or another piece of paper) that's glued to the inner wall of the spare tire well. Some owners have also had success in obtaining the number from the parts counter at a VW dealer; they might want proof that the radio was legitimately obtained and will need to have the radio in-hand (that is, removed from the car) to see the radio's serial number.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Welcome.

Sharp looking car. I like the boxy look. As far as the radio. X2 on dbrick. I went to the dealer and explained to the service guy my issue. (Told them I just recently purchased the car)

A tech came out, pulled the radio and I jotted down the serial # of the radio and the Vin# of the car. Went inside with those #'s and they pulled the code for the radio :thumbup:

Good luck with your 97'

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks very much for the insight regarding the radio, appreciate it. I do know that this is the original radio that came in the car, I'll see what I can locate as far as the codes. Stereo functionality is the least of my concerns at this point in time however. Just wanted to make sure that the "safe" reading wasn't indicating something more severe. Not even sure exactly, but I believe the nearest VW dealer is 2 hours away from me. The entire dash is coming out for a heater core replacement anyway, I'll get the serial # when the extraction occurs. Trying to track down a set of decent tires for the car so I can get it in somewhere for a/c system evacuation. Both need to happen before I can really even begin to work on the car. Might as well get busy finding some tires! Again, sincerest thanks and appreciation for the info. More to follow.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts