Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just have a general question. If you have a 1998 GLS 1.8T with 117,000 miles on it, would you spend the money to fix it up? I've been thinking of dumping money on my car but it's mileage is over 115,000. It's a clean car and it'd be a shame just to trade it in for a newer one. It's only lowered with some Alessio rims on it, and I wanna make it faster but having second thoughts on something that might not last too much longer. What would anyone else do?

Tre :???:

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
why not, if its in good shape you can play with it :thumbup:

·
Banned
3,006 Posts
My 98 1.8t is at almost 80k and heres what I have fixed

redb5sdca said:
redb5sdca said:
98 B5 1.8t(AEB) 5spd colorado red 75,000 miles

Passat variant punks thread got me thinking and Although it could be a scary list heres mine :

All four engine mounts (front motor mount replaced twice second time
with snub mount)
diverter valve
The lowers from all four doors
shiftboot(already need another)
one transmission mount
Abs control module
timing belt and tensioner
valve cover gasket
cam seal gasket
spark plugs twice
front brake pads and rotors twice
rear pads twice rotors once
master cylinder
waterpump
alternator
oil pump and suck up tube
ingnition control module
coilpacks
all hoses
armrest cover
floor mats
one keyless remote broke (paid 120 for another that drove off on my moms trunk :cry: , yet to be replaced a second time)
bracket on bottom of driver seat broke had to get that took apart and replaced
Motor (top end is rebuilt bottom end is new and pistons plus crank and rods)
Turbo
both window regulators
driver door rubber seal
rear passenger hedliner trim
cv boots
gas tank switch
ignition switch
replaced blown speaker
Clutch and pressure plate/throw-out bearing
How bigs your list?
to be fixed still....
front passenger control arms, tierod ends, strut bearing,some small ac problem, need to buy keyless remote, shiftboot, center armrest lid, diverter valve(#2), hood support, eventually dampers, will my trunk light ever work properly??? sunroof is making an awesome rattle. Trust me you DO NOT want to see my list added up, and neither do I :p

THE END
Thats what makes me say don't spend money at that mileage IMO :wink:
Nick

·
Registered
302 Posts
i have 128,234 miles on my 99 v6 passat and i have done work on mine!

lowered it, exhaust, intake, soon i will add a chip, and still working on it

Why not, VW last forever or almost forever

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
If the car is well maintained and in excellent condition and paid off, why not have some fun with it without dealing with another car payment.
I would say the opposite if it was an american car almost hitting 100k's, since it would almost towards it's life. European and Japanese cars are known to go 200k and way beyond, if taken care of properly. I'm not familiar with the reliability and life spans of VWs though, so I could be wrong here.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
well, if it's mostly highway miles (not in traffic, of course), then that's not too bad. if the car has been pretty reliable, then i'd keep it. the engine is solid, so i wouldn't be worried there.

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
hey, if it's in good shape, why not, mine as 68.000 miles on it and no worries. I mean what, is thee a mileage max to fix a car :lol: , at that rate, don't fix anything over 20k :roll: :crazy: , do what you feel, if you count on keeping it for a while, why not, have fun, i know i will :thumbup: .

·
Registered
245 Posts
redb5sdca,
we have identical cars, although i am a recent convert to VW (3 months now). moved from a 97 accord and was happy. things starting to creep up now though, steering is sketchy, sunroof rattle starting, Dv prob weak, some kind of loose mount (thunk/clink or braking and some turns), i imagine all kinds of rods. your list is fearsome! love the car, but i'm just a college student, did i make the right choice going from honda to vw? oh dear....oh dear.... :eek:h:
props to the forum, this place is an information pit
nare

·
Banned
1,496 Posts
I would say that if you've maintained it well, why not keep spending money on it. You can get another 100k miles out of it and it will probably cost you less than purchasing a new one. My vote is keep it if its in good shape.

BTW - I have a 99 with 85k miles on it, and I've recently upgraded suspension, chipped it, new wheels and tires, TT dv, and other mods/repairs. I fully expect with routine oil changes, a tranny fluid change coming up and good basic maintenance, I'll still be driving this car for another 5 years.

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,267 Posts
I have a '98 with 94K miles. I also have a '79 Scirocco with 265K miles on the original engine AND clutch! I plan on 300K with the Passat... if your Passat has been trouble-free for 117K and you still like the car, then I'd say go for it.

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
Rusty said:
I have a '98 with 94K miles. I also have a '79 Scirocco with 265K miles on the original engine AND clutch! I plan on 300K with the Passat... if your Passat has been trouble-free for 117K and you still like the car, then I'd say go for it.
I feel the same.

Reds problems are just bad luck IMO.

BTW, 111k miles pushing 20PSI for 30k......mildly midiflied. Ive had better experiance with this VW then 2 Toyotas I had.

But then again its luck.....thats what sucks about having a car with no warranty :(

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Banned
3,006 Posts
So I am the only one who has had to replace this much? I still love the car and agree that if I can get another 100k out of it, then it will be cheaper than getting a new car right now. That's the only reason why I track down EVERY problem and fix it. 8) My luck with this car does seem to be unfortunate, and I have already almost spent the same 14k fixing it that I originnally paod for it. So as long as your willing to fix what breaks go for it.

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
redb5sdca said:
So I am the only one who has had to replace this much? I still love the car and agree that if I can get another 100k out of it, then it will be cheaper than getting a new car right now. That's the only reason why I track down EVERY problem and fix it. 8) My luck with this car does seem to be unfortunate, and I have already almost spent the same 14k fixing it that I originnally paod for it. So as long as your willing to fix what breaks go for it.
You are loco my friend...

But I understand where the love comes from.

Im sure there has been many with as many problems if not more...all cars are made to break. Sucks to see you in that boat bro....and I hope it never happens to me.

Good luck

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
487 Posts
115k? I have 26k since last August, mostly down the car pool lane on I880. How much do you want for it? Just kidding. I have out near 200k on several VAG products, I don't think it's dead yet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the responses. My car is mainly Highway use and is in pretty clean shape. The only major thing that I've had to fix was my Transmission Control Mod. According to the dealer it had "Fried". I dumped $1500 for the part and to get it fixed. I was thinking to myself that with that much money I could've put a catback exhaust, chip, and those HID lights that I've been wanting. Then I would've been able to punk those yuppies in those Beemers who cut me off on the 57 freeway to and from work everyday. :mad: Well I think I'm just gonna fix it up a little more and then save up for a newer model. Y'know those Audi's aren't looking half bad either. To be continued I guess....Thanks everyone. I tell you I really like this website. Makes me wanna get a B5 or VW tattoo. Take care everyone.
Tre

1 - 17 of 17 Posts