Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:( I'm new to the forum so please excuse if I use the wrong protocols.

I have a 2004 Passat wagon, 1.8T 4-motion.
Radio Am quality is scratchy and terrible. Called VW Customer Service and recieved the usual runaround, " we know of the problem,... no fixes at this time... keep contact with your dealer. " Antenna, radio(they even substituted a new one), contacts checked, etc. and are all within specs... Still poor quality !

I've requested replacement radio ( different brand or upgraded unit) with the rational that if I purchase a radio, I should be able to listen to both the am and Fm, and not be told that they know the am reception is a problem.

Have any members had similar problems, and If it is a common problem, and we all join together to force a remedy?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hotrodder said:
:( I'm new to the forum so please excuse if I use the wrong protocols.

I have a 2004 Passat wagon, 1.8T 4-motion.
Radio Am quality is scratchy and terrible. Called VW Customer Service and recieved the usual runaround, " we know of the problem,... no fixes at this time... keep contact with your dealer. " Antenna, radio(they even substituted a new one), contacts checked, etc. and are all within specs... Still poor quality !

I've requested replacement radio ( different brand or upgraded unit) with the rational that if I purchase a radio, I should be able to listen to both the am and Fm, and not be told that they know the am reception is a problem.

Have any members had similar problems, and If it is a common problem, and we all join together to force a remedy?
AM on my '04 Passat TDI Monsoon unit works pretty good...about as good as AM ever gets around here...

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Where's new city? AM quality is fine in my 03 both on my original Monsoon and my MFD, except on my MFD I can't get the exact tuning (since it's European it tunes in intervals of 9 instead of US standard 10) so sometimes it's a little fuzzy because of that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AM radio reception

New City is in Rockland County, about 25 miles north of NYC. On a clear day, I can see the skyscrapers of NYC from the Tappan Zee Bridge. Well within range of radio signals.
VW Cust. Service responded that they are "aware of the problem", and "looking into the solutions"... and for me to keep in contact with the dealer. Dealer is aware etc...etc. All this within the last month ( August).
Maybe more phone calls to VW Cust service and each dealer from other unhappy owners will bring about some recourse and repair/replacement. Thanks Mitch :suspicio:

·
Registered
4 Posts
silvercondor1 said:
We have the same problem with 2004 1.8T. We have gone through the same fire drill and no results. We have been waiting since Janurary for a resolvement of the problem, I don't think they care. :???:
Get in line behind all the other AM radio buffs WAITING for an answer. :mad:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:thumbdow:
To All Monsoon Owners
I spoke to VW of America today regarding the poor radio quality. They insist that all problems must be brought to your dealer's AREA TECHNICIAN--REGIONAL REP. Of course, you can only contact this engineer through your dealer. VW of America refused to give me a "higher up" contact. I'm going to try throught the regional-rep route, anhd I'll be back.
Hotrodder

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have been in touch with our Quality Technical Manager and VW of America regarding the defective AM radio (reception), only to get the same rhetoric they've been pushing for years, "We are aware of it and we are working on it." So we have advised them that we are going to contact consumer agencies and our local media for assistance, because VW of America has practiced and continues to commit consumer fraud by failing to alert the consumer that the car being purchased has a defective radio which to date has not been able to be fixed, and for which there is no alternative radio nor any other remedy. It would be helpful if everybody affected would CONTACT:

Ggrd Klauss, President
VW of America
3499 West Hamlin Road
Rochester Hills, MI 48309

and Brandie Koonts, Superisor, Customer Care
3499 West Hamlin Road
Rochester Hills, MI 48309

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.