Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,
Just checking in, I have searched and found very little info on the B&G s2k sport kit w/ shocks and lowering springs. Just curious if anyone has experience w/ this setup. I have found info on exterior site that p/n 96.3.173 will fit my 2003 glx wagon. I am curious if anyone else has installed this and if any other parts may be required or recommended prior to installing this kit. I am looking fwd to a slight drop to improve handling and reduce roll; don't really want or need a slammed look but a little tighter appearance will be welcomed.

I plan on installing it and getting an alignment shortly thereafter, also adding the srs-type rear anti sway bar from the group build on here, I am just curious if anyone on here w/ more experience has any other recommendations while the suspension will be apart.

I read on other posts about replacing dampers, but frankly I don't know exactly what parts that is referring to or if it is really recommended w/ a shock change out too or if just doing lowering springs/ extreme coil-over drop.

Not working with an unlimited budget but I do want performance, reliability, safety and longevity so I'd rather bite the bullet now. I have ordered the B&G kit so that will be my set-up vice other brand/options but I would like to know any other parts to be looking at while I'm down there.

Any info will be appreciated...Tim

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, just found out the b&gs are back-ordered w/no eta so I'm back to looking for a comparable quality suspension set up that isn't too pricey or aggressive. I would really like a 1.5 inch drop all around or so and a little stiffer spring as to alleviate body roll etc. I'm not looking to race it but I do like to drive. My wife's car is a Mercedes CL500 and drives like a dream, I know that practicality wise a comparable set up isn't really attainable but I would like to narrow the gap a little, if that makes sense.

If nothing else this should generate a couple more options for you all to throw at me, I'm all ears. A $2000 suspension is not going to happen but I am willing to hand around the $700 price point, prefer to spend less but I understand getting what we pay for etc.

It's a 2003 glx wagon fwd (2.8L); I forgot to mention that earlier...thanks in advance

Tim

·
Premium Member
4,536 Posts
And its getting an SRS-style rear sway bar in January. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,536 Posts
Why not the Koni Sport Suspension Kit for B5.5? About the same price ~$650.

I think several members on here have opted for them. I almost bought them and then a set of PSS9s fell into reach, so I splurged.

:wrench:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies, I opted for koni str.t shocks, "entry level performance non-adjustable" and neuspeed sport springs. The rub was finding something in price range in stock I got out the door for less than $500. I am hoping these will suit me well, as like I said, I don't want to race but I do like to "drive" to get my groceries!

And, Yes Keith, I am getting a SRS-style rear sway bar in January which should be a vast improvement on its own! I would like to hold out and do the bar first to see the relative improvement than install new shocks (realized you were referring to these as dampers) and springs and see total package, however I get all antsy when I see new parts lying around that need to be installed.

Colorado Red, yeah B&G model designation was/is S2k, I was hoping to get someone's attention that has it and would see that model and be like "Yes, I have that set up", etc...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, so i got the dampers and springs finished today; what an exciting job! as someone put it the numerous threads I read before doing this the pinch bolt is definitely a "rite of passage". those are a biatch but now I will def be checking them annually, air hammers are your friends! also I used hermanh's writeup; very thorough and helpful but I learned the hard-way the 11 degree offset on the strut top or whatever is vital to proper instal so I recommend marking the top donut prior to disassembly so you know exactly where the posts need to be in relation to the centerline; I had to redo mine 4x and finally settled about 8 degrees per my angle gauge rather than the 11 I set it with; on the driver side(second side) I marked my donut and it lined up perfectly. I got it to go on the passenger side but upon test drive it was not happy so i redid it w/ success.

Long story short, I am happy with the setup; dropped me about 1.5 inches as of about 5 miles on the setup; expecting it to settle in more, and handling is 100% better than before, exactly what I was looking for. Now I can't wait for my srs-type rear sway bar to come in as I expect that to really lock the rear end.

My ucas didn't look too bad but I am expecting to replace them within a year depending how this suspension breaks in/ tire wear etc. I amd waiting for the front end to wear in a little before alignment as it tracks straight so far and I want to make sure its where it is going to be before they adjust something not needing it etc.

I will be looking for a good set of replacement uca so I guess i will be looking at ecs or others and shopping around for good advice/pricing.

I just wanted to post an update if anyone is following this or interested in the setup I chose; for about $500 invested pretty nice result.

oh yeah, and anyone on the fence about pinch bolts; order them and plan on replacing them, you may not need to, but I had to do an 80mi round trip to my closest vw/audi dealer once I realized how fuct my orig were; if you don't need them consider yourself lucky.

Tim

·
Registered
970 Posts
Thanks for the info. I've been considering those Konis for when I change out my suspension in the spring. Seem to be a good budget option but I'll be interested to see how they feel in a couple of months before I pull the trigger on mine. Thanks for being the guinea pig, i haven't seen much first hand info out there on these dampers.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No problem,Birdman, I will update this as they wear in to keep you up to date of any pertinent info... Tim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts