Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello just a quick background and some photos

I picked up the 1999 1.8t fwd AEB Passat about two weeks ago. i feel i can formally introduce myself now after completing the timing belt and water pump. On my former car this was a rite of passage...

The Passat has a 117,000 miles on it, Has leather, cold weather package, and everything works!

07' Ranger is my other DD. The ranger is a must for my hobbies, Snowboarding & windsurfing. I do work to the ranger, which evolved from my former Explorer that i maintained until 215,000.

My experience with VW holds fast to my last project car that i owned for 6 years, 88' Porsche 944, 5 speed, that was primarily a VW design from top to bottom. On that car i did extensive work, its eery how much Passat has in common with my old 944.

i want to say thanks to this community, as it has been invaluable to me since i bought the passat, up until this point i would not have been able to service the car or check and go over a fraction of the things without this community.

my old 'VW'

4 cyl NA was rock solid

Passat plans,
i plan on just maintaining the car and keeping it in good health. Shocks, brakes and upper control arms coming soon i think.
i dont have mods in mind for Passat other than light window tint, prob 50% all around.

thanks for having me on board guys, its good to be here, i love outlook on this forum, it truly reminds me of the 944 guys i used to work with who were awesome.

PS
fellow gear heads i thought this would be of interest

this was about 3000 miles after i completed a belt job on the 944, we had to use this special tool to tension the balance belt and timing belt properly in lou of the $1500 factory tensioner tool. This had to be done when initially installed, and then needed to be broken down, and retensioned again after 3000 miles, PITA! :) I felt so lucky when i learned about the Passats system, so much smarter.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've got a question. I have a Passat '08, what's the "cold weather package"? I live just north of you in Port Monmouth, so I'm wondering if it's something I'll actually need. One other question, do you fly Guppys, work on'em or just happen to use 'B-737'?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No clue what the cold weather package includes, your car is ten years newer than mine ;)

Lots of help, and local help on this forum

Yes, 73' driver

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
NKS969, did you happen to figure out which options on your car the Cold Weather Package included?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts