Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my dealership drama, I decided to sneak over to Blue Plains and get a quick run on the test track. I bedded my pads on River Road in Maryland, and took a spirited drive over to S.E. Washington, D.C.

Then I put my car through some paces around the cones, and by the Fire-Tower. Needless to say the Axxis Ultimates that I'm running are hands down the best street/semi-race compound pad I've ever used. I like the EBC Green Compound as well, but the Axxis didn't take as long to bed. It's only been about 300 miles, but I'm digging these pads and will keep you guys posted!!

Now to find a heated garage to wash my car..

Peace and blessings..

Swami

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There's plenty of vendors who sell PBR/Axxis pads. ECS Tuning has them, but I think Zeckhausen Racing has them for a better price.

Do a websearch for Axxis Brake Pads... :lol:

·
Registered
871 Posts
Do they have good initial bite or like to be run hot? I drive a lot of freeway and with stupid drivers all around you never know when you will need to stop on a dime without any warning after long cold run :crazy: BTW, OT, did Stoptech still needed W8 to look at?

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
VW4.0L said:
Bump for my Q on initial bite of your new pads.
initial bite is very good with the ultimates, I run them on my Z3 and will be upgrading the passat when the time comes to change pads.

check out http://www.cobaltfriction.com, good prices/service andthere is info on the pads there.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
VW4.0L said:
Do they have good initial bite or like to be run hot? I drive a lot of freeway and with stupid drivers all around you never know when you will need to stop on a dime without any warning after long cold run :crazy: BTW, OT, did Stoptech still needed W8 to look at?
My friend, the PBR/Axxis Ultimates (Kevlar/Ceramic compound) have the best initial bite I've used on a semi-race compound pad. There's significantly less fade on plain-face rotors and in wet driving conditions, and that's when they are cold. After heating them up the bite is even better!! As long as you prepare these pads with adhesive shims and some Anti-Seize compound, you are good to go!!

Here's two vendors that carry PBR/Axxis pads:

Import Replacement Parts: http://www.importrp.com
Zeckhausen Racing: http://zeckhausen.com/

VW4.0L, give those guys a call over at Stoptech because I'm sure they would like to check out your car in order to design a Big Brake Kit. Honestly these pads are so good, I'm having 2nd thoughts about upgrading my brakes at all.. Sike.... :p

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
would you recomment these pads for the OEM rotors, or will they be to hard/harsh on them. If so, how long should the OEM rotors last with a harder compound pad :???:

I think the axxis will be my choice, hopefully soon i can use up my current brake pads, im trying really hard :wink:

·
Registered
902 Posts
Thought I could get a brake job done cheap by just machining the rotors and getting some midas pads...but

I hate the midas pads, I told them the bite that was there before was gone, but they had no idea what I was talking about. This is me for going there. ->:crazy: But this time I'll just do it myself, with the right parts.

Ok so far I have

25175 Brembo Brake Rotors $32.99 - 2 Rear
25483 Brembo Brake Rotors $40.99 - 2 Front
D 104 RU PBR/Axxis Brake Pads $39.99 - 1 Rear
D 807 RU PBR/Axxis Brake Pads $43.49 - 1 Front

Total $231.44

Wear can I find the shims, and anit-seize(is there a difference in the kind you use?

Do I need anything else?(Aside from tools needed for install)

I'm being lazy, but the search function sucks right now and I need to get this done.

·
Registered
871 Posts
BTW, Swami, while you at it. Was there anything special about replacing front pads? Comparing to regular B5? Was it any more problematic than normal setup?

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Anybody know if these pads work well with zimmerman cross drilled rotors? I'm thinking of using this combo anyone use this set-up. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts