Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a labor estimate of $372 to replace both complete drive axle assemblies and both front wheel bearings. I already have the parts. Just wish I had a 2-ton hydraulic press. Estimate sound about right? Too much?

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,264 Posts
That's about 4 hours @$90. Sounds OK to me. However, be aware that when replacing bearings on our cars, the race frequently is stuck on the hub assy. It can be cut off, but that frequently damages the hub, so you may need new hubs, too.

Not trying to scare you or anything, just hoping to avoid nasty surprises. Any comments, Sharky? Bel?

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How much do hubs run and where I should I get them? I'm hoping that won't be necessary, but at least I'd know sort of what I might be getting into.

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
if you have a 2nd car . . . . just remove the steering knuckle when you replace the axles and bring those to napa or a shop and have them press out the bearings for you. 4 hours sounds pretty fair. The shop i went to charged me 2 for one, although they spent 5 hours screwing up my car and $1000 fixing it . . . .

Dave

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,264 Posts
The dealer will charge you about $170 each.

I know this firsthand because I had the LF bearing go bad on my Christmas road trip to Tennessee. New bearing, hub, and labor was about $520. Ouch - but I was so happy to simply get it fixed in a timely manner without any hassle. :thumbup: :thumbup: to Wallace VW/Subaru in Johnson City, TN.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
crew217 said:
if you have a 2nd car . . . . just remove the steering knuckle when you replace the axles and bring those to napa or a shop and have them press out the bearings for you. 4 hours sounds pretty fair. The shop i went to charged me 2 for one, although they spent 5 hours screwing up my car and $1000 fixing it . . . .

Dave
That's what I'd prefer to do but alas I only have 1 car. I just don't want to have it taken apart to find they have to cut the hubs and then I'll be w/o a car while they get the parts.

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
Are you close to ECS? Perhaps they could do the job for you. I bet they'd even have some hubs on hand as well :)

Dave

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I've had most of my work done there but I had a hard time trying to get a hold of them this time; I've heard they've turned work away lately because they're so busy. Plus I'm trying to avoid driving all the way down there on a failing bearing and CV joint. This local guy can get me in on Wednesday; whenever I call ECS the response is, "Pick a day next week."

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
on my jetta i took out both steering knuckles and hubs

and brought them to a indy show that does vw and volvo and they took care of both for about 200 i think

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
You can snag two new axles (Raxles is 180 each, cheaper elsewhere with some research) then DIY. I will be replacing my left front axle this coming week.. once ECS ships out the replacement axle bolt. There is a write up by ScubaGLS in our info forum and another similar article on TAILGENTX's website.

Should be cheaper than the dealership or local shop and will give you some QT with your B5.

Of course you already have the parts and this would assume you could be refunded for them.

Good luck on your repair.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've already thought about that. I got my axles from Raxles (to be delivered tomorrow). The axle replacement looks very straightfoward but then I still need the bearings done anyway.

The bearing kits have new axle bolts with them but I don't think the axles come with them (implied since you're waiting for one from ECS), which renders the axle DIY moot.

I'm not willing to drive my car in this condition any longer (on highway interchanges it feels like the left front wheel is going to rattle itself off).

My B5 and I will get plenty of QT with the other things that need to be fixed.

I've scheduled my appointment for Wednesday and am very much looking forward to it.

·
6th Grade
14,917 Posts
I have gotten to the point I send axles out to a shop that rebuilds them for $45 a piece.

I've never asked them to, but I'm sure they could do the bearings as well for very little money.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts