Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 96 A4 2.8l the front left(drivers side) axle shaft slides side to side about a 1/2" or so. the front right(passenger) side axle does not do this. I have also noticed that after driving a while the steering wheel will shake like the right front wheel will fall off. so i pull over and everything seems fine... then it doesnt do it for a while again. can this have somethine to do with the axle shaft or the control arms or tie rod? Is this normal?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Actually, due to the design of the CV joint it is normal for the axle shaft to slide side to side. I think if you applied more force to the passenger side you would find that it also moves. This play is important since the length of the axle plus CV joints has to change with suspension travel.

As for the shaking, how is your tire balance and what is the condition of your shocks/struts?

8,184 Posts
On my 96 A4 2.8l the front left(drivers side) axle shaft slides side to side about a 1/2" or so. the front right(passenger) side axle does not do this. I have also noticed that after driving a while the steering wheel will shake like the right front wheel will fall off. so i pull over and everything seems fine... then it doesnt do it for a while again. can this have somethine to do with the axle shaft or the control arms or tie rod? Is this normal?

I have the same iusse. I am getting all the tire stuff checked out again and will keep you posted. On mine the funny thing is...when I clean her out with seafoam...it stoped for a whole day:crazy:

·
Registered
633 Posts
My96A4Quattro You should have your car checked out right away. If your axle or suspension fails while your going down the highway you could get in serious trouble.

VWfleet I think what your are try to say is true for an axle that is not installed on the car. The length of the axle changes as the suspension is compressed. But that doesn't mean you should be able to go under your car and shift the axle back and forth with your hands. Sounds to me like either his circlip is gone or his axle bolt is loose either of which are bad news.

·
Super Moderator
14,069 Posts
Since both sides don't do it, it sounds wrong. I will add though that axle lengths need to be fluid in some manner since the distance from transmission to wheel hub varies with suspension compression/position.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well this axle is deffinetly back... the CV joint clicks all the time now. I am hopefully replacing it tomorrow along with the tie rod and control arms.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts