Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my axle in from Marty:thumbup:......So Im getting set up for the job.....I start to loosen the lugs, pop the center cap off to loosen the axle bolt and I almost Puked........:puke:.........

It was like a a rusted ear of cauliflower :banghead:.....So I figure oh well I will wire brush it or dremel it clean.....

I hit it with Pb blaster and start knocking out the bigger stuff with a pick.....

Well I got it cleaned and it looks like at some point in this vehicles history someone tried to get this bolt off and stripped it because it was completly round:(

So any ideas???????? Im thinking of having a bit welded to the bolt and use that???? What do you guys think?????????Any and all input is appeciated..

For your viewing pleasure

· RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,277 Posts
I'm with Scott on this one. it is probably a 17 or 14 mm (depends on the car), so go with a 16 or 13 mm allen, and make sure it is hardened. that one's gonna be a real biatch.

· Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes Jay, Biatch is correct LOL...........Ok Im gonna slug in a oversized hardened bit, then for shits and giggles, try and run a weld around it........No playing games over here LOL.....( I hope this works :icon_eek:)

· Resident a-hole knowitall
15,496 Posts
I'm with Scott on this one. it is probably a 17 or 14 mm (depends on the car), so go with a 16 or 13 mm allen, and make sure it is hardened. that one's gonna be a real biatch.
might be a stupid question, but wouldnt you wanna hammer a bigger allen head onto it since a smaller one would just fit in the hole and do nothing when you hit it with a hammer :hmmm:

· Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just for the record its a 98 1.8t 5spd ( 14mm bolt)...Im gonna have to probably go with a 17mm to hammer in there.....I think with a half ass weld, welding the bit to the bolt I will hopefully be good enough, that would be "wicked Pissah":D.............I will post pics of the solution ( in case any other poor New England souls get harassed by the salty road gods:lol:).................

· Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Come on man......Ive been around long enough to know to get my axles from Marty at Raxles. Comes with all the goodies.....Just didnt get the pocket knife I heard some guys got.......Hopefully This goes smooth tomorrow and Im making a big deal over nothing:thumbup:

· PassatWorld Elder
27,985 Posts
I would use a chisel and hammer to try to turn the bolt out. It works fairly well in most cases.

· Registered
3,198 Posts
You could also try using a "Bolt Out". Sears sells them (I think Irwin also makes something similar) and they grip the outside of the allen head cap screw with a tapered LH thread. They come in handy for stripped out fasteners. I had to use them on a crank pulley for a MK3 timing belt replacement, very handy.

· Registered
500 Posts
Get a good quality 14mm hex socket bit, hammer it in, then weld if needed. You don't want ot be playing with a L shaped allen wrench or a socket bit that will bend with this, you'll probably only get one good chance at it. When in doubt, use overwhelming force.

I got a S-K bit from Advance or AZ, and hammered it into a slightly rusted bolt, and had to stand on a cheater bar to break the bolt free. Impact driver + PB didn't budge it. Mine wasn't rounded like yours, which is why you may need to weld it in.

· Registered
3,278 Posts
Wow, THAT sucks. Next to the crank sprocket bolt, this is the tightest on the car. Here's what I'd try. With a dremel, grind the head so that it looks like one of those tamper proof screws you see in a public rest room, except that you should set the ramps in the opposite direction. Then start pounding on it with an air hammer. If that doesn't work, grind the whole head off starting from the center.

Your welding idea would work, but they may have trouble getting a good ground.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.