Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Axel or boot? Every one i talk to wants to sell the complete axel frnt and very few people have the boot or want to change it! My car has 80,000 non winter or rain driven why would i want to give up german made axel for a non quality control piece. What have you done and not that you would do now after doing this procedure

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,595 Posts
I rebooted mine. What year and transmission? I have 2 Original axles with good boots and joints from my 04 1.8T FWD auto trans. Took them off when I did my manual swap.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I'd reboot as long as the joint is OK. If you drive them for 6 months with a missing boot, who knows, but if the boot is cracked and is just beginning to throw grease and there is no clicking or other problems, just reboot them. It's a messy job but it doesn't take that long and then you know you have a quality axle assembly instead of some unknown stuff.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd reboot as long as the joint is OK. If you drive them for 6 months with a missing boot, who knows, but if the boot is cracked and is just beginning to throw grease and there is no clicking or other problems, just reboot them. It's a messy job but it doesn't take that long and then you know you have a quality axle assembly instead of some unknown stuff.
[/QU/ What manufacturer has best boot material? Is the oem worth the extra cost? Where to buy?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will this GKN 306353 fit my outer boot glx passat v6 front wheel drive. I looked in to list of vehicles unless this will fit B5 for other years ?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I think the boots are all about the same on 1.8t and V6 (not sure about W8) but if you go to the website and type in your car and follow the menus you can find the right part.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I will never do another boot. Too much labor, finding good clamps, joint may be too worn... Far easier to swap axles If I’m feeling purist, Raxles; if I’m feeling cheap, Chinesium.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The key is they are charging if you can find a installer $350.00 to do a boot and $250.00 to do an axel! A job no one wants to do! am looking for a Mechanic now in the Hartford Ct area now, have garage, tools but left knee is shot and with virus will not go near a hospital.

·
Registered
27,428 Posts
As a mechanic, it was far easier to change an axle vs a proper job on replacing the boot (full disassembly and cleaning). $250 just for labor on an axle change? That's crazy, it should be less than 1 hour for a shop. I charged 1 hour for an axle and 1.5hr for a boot and that was using a jack, stands and no power tools.
Have you checked for local vw/audi work from home mechanics? They sometimes are listed on Craigslist. I know there were several around my area, and I expect more in the northeast.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As a mechanic, it was far easier to change an axle vs a proper job on replacing the boot (full disassembly and cleaning). $250 just for labor on an axle change? That's crazy, it should be less than 1 hour for a shop. I charged 1 hour for an axle and 1.5hr for a boot and that was using a jack, stands and no power tools.
Have you checked for local vw/audi work from home mechanics? They sometimes are listed on Craigslist. I know there were several around my area, and I expect more in the northeast.
I am in the north east and i will check Craig list tonight! Yes in conn prices are high VW dealer wanted70.00 for one oter boot!plus $260 labor, plus tax, plus disposable rags 412.50

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,595 Posts
I am in the north east and i will check Craig list tonight! Yes in conn prices are high VW dealer wanted $70.00 for one outer boot! Plus $260 labor, plus tax, plus disposable rags $412.50
You don't need a dealer for an axle change or reboot. It's just an axle. Just find a reputable indy. All cars have them and there isn't anything special about the Passats'.

Or, you could find a used good OEM axle to swap in and then do the reboot yourself on your own time, and either keep for later or resell yours.

·
Registered
999 Posts
It’s a messy and time consuming job to re-boot, like a member mentioned above I’ve gone the cheap way getting the entire axel from a local parts store and I’ve changed it in under an hour...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
447 Posts
I rebooted... Rein boot kit. Only because there was still a ton of grease in the broken boot. It was satisfying to do it, but now I think my wheel bearing is going to need replacing and it groans at odd times

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Who does vw work on the side in the Hartford Ct area. Just was quoted another price of $350.00 to do boot at a dirty garage and $250.00 for a Chinese Communist Axle with mine as a part of the cost. What makes these axels inferior to the OEM?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
To save you the trouble of searching, the OEM axle shafts were hollow and supposedly better at damping vibrations than the solid axles found on aftermarket axles. I never had a problem on mine.

·
Registered
78 Posts
On my lowered 2004 I replaced both my factory axles with Chinese ones at 53,000. The original boots were torn and joints clicking horribly. I had to do the right side again at 113,000. Now at 131,000. In the end I got more miles out of the Chinese ones than the original. I'm a parts distributor and sell way more complete axles than boots to shops, dealerships and DIY's without complaints.
There is a significant difference among Chinese axles suppliers as well - thermoplastic or rubber boot material, OE or cheap Chinese joint design, density(weight of the shaft), etc..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Axel or boot? Every one i talk to wants to sell the complete axel frnt and very few people have the boot or want to change it! My car has 80,000 non winter or rain driven why would i want to give up german made axel for a non quality control piece. What have you done and not that you would do now after doing this procedure
Raxels for me on both sides (several years apart). Did it myself; not difficult and I'm no mechanic but good instructions, YouTube videos, etc. made it do-able and fun. I thought just replacing the boot was "iffy". Cost was ~$270 including shipping but I'm in WA, as far from FL as you can get.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Raxels for me on both sides (several years apart). Did it myself; not difficult and I'm no mechanic but good instructions, YouTube videos, etc. made it do-able and fun. I thought just replacing the boot was "iffy". Cost was ~$270 including shipping but I'm in WA, as far from FL as you can get.
Oops! Raxles, not Raxels!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts