Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If i'm stepping on anyone's toes or getting out of line, please tell me and remove the thread.......

27/28/29th December 2005
Awesome GTI are having a Rolling Road extravaganza.
IIRC it's 30+VAT for a run.

In view of some "discussion" regarding various tuner's rolling road figures, i thought it prudent to get one from what is suggested to be a VERY accurate RR.
So i'm booked in to generate a soot-laden cloud at 9am on the 28th December.

Anyone else interested in coming along? It's open to any car from any club, so if you are up for it , give them a ring and speak with John or Adrian and book yourself in. Payment req'd up front.
Its be nice to put a face to some of the names........

·
Registered
155 Posts
Were abouts are they based? getting my Tdi chipped today so will be wanting to know what gains i get!

Cheers Chris :beer:

·
Registered
606 Posts
I assume you mean your going on the 28th December?

Anyhow, i hope you have a nice day and get figures you are happy with.
Awesome's new premises and RR have set the new benchmark from what i have seen/heard.

I know a few people whom have booked, but none with passats.

Skid, for info:

Awesome GTI Store Ltd, Unit 1 Siemens Road, Northbank Business Park, Irlam, Manchester, M44 5AH, UK

http://www.awesome-gti.co.uk/

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah, i meant the 28th........original post edited to reflect correct details.
and the dates are 27th - 29th inclusive.

I've heard their RR is "more accurate" than othes too, hence why i'm going. Then i'll have two sets of figures.......one more "real" world, and one to scare off the hordes of saxo-driving barryboys....:lol:

·
Registered
262 Posts
Danski,

I've just booked the 10.30 slot! I'm sure it'll go down well with the family when I tell them.

I'll be coming from Shrewsbury way.

·
Registered
262 Posts
http://www.bruntingthorpe.com/contact.htm

I called Dave Walten at bruntingthorpe. Unfortunately they are busy on the afternoon of the 28th. They can do an afternoon for about £150. Sometimes it might be possible to tack on to the back of a.n.other group or club day.

The have space on the 3rd and the morning of the 4th Jan, but I'm not so sure I can make that.

def sometime next year though.

cheers.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Danski and Steve10.......
What are you both running?
and who'se bringing the bacon baps?........rofl.....

·
Registered
228 Posts
We are BOTH the proud owners of V6`s......SUPERCHARGED !!!!!

I`ve never done this before....how does it work?
Are we supposed to drive the car on the R/R, or do one of their bods do it?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Supercharged V6's eh? Should be interesting...........
I've nver done it before either............my only experience was when i had the Jabba remap - handed over the keys and off she went.
I guess this would be a smiliar sort of thing, with various calibration issues etc. But hey, who cares?

·
Registered
262 Posts
yep, i think me an dan are gonna turn a few heads with these motors.

what's involved?

they'll drive it onto the rollers and put anchor straps through the car. then they'll put on a few measuring devices - i can't mind what. depends what we want them to measure as wel. then they rev the fk out your car.

eg we should get them to hook into the vacum line - that give a boost read-out.

i imagine they should get an air fuel mix run as well. best we forewarn them though. doesn't take long, but they'd be better knowing in advance. maybe all routine for them, but better to check.

should be a hoot. i'll try and get over early for bacon rolls etc. i'm coning from Wem, north of Shrewsbury. allow 2 hours?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Never done that drive myself, but looking at it, I`d guess that you`ll cross onto the M6?

I think id give it a bit longer - be on the safe side.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
anchor straps.......nothjing like a bit of automotive bondage.....
gonna see if there are any greasy spoons nearby for bacon/sausage sarnies....otherwise, case of bring your own i'm afraid - they'd never survive a journey with me, i'd wolf the lot....
Hmmmmmmmm, M6 in winter........joy.....just checked my booking details too.....10am....early start for me too........
see you lads on the 28th.....

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Early Warning System.....

Danski, Steve10.......anyone else...REMINDER....

Awesome GTI RR day.......

Hope you guys are out of bed and on your way, or about to be. I wants to sees them V6's.....

I'm only there for the morning, but it's going to be good if lots turn up.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just got back from the RR day.......
Was really good to put a face to some names on here.
I'll post my dyno plots when i "borrow" a scanner later but the figures are:
[email protected] the clutch, [email protected] wheels - which supports Jabba's previous figures as being 10% optimistic - though I believe they've just had a new RR put in........

torque was 306 lb/ft. not that far off Jabba's plot of 316lb/ft.

Impressed with Dan's B5 v6 4motion supercharged - very smooth, almost a stealth sort of look to it.
As for the Passat estate effort (Craig?) - OMG.
Nothing subtle about a quad-pipe exhaust, but the noise it made....:Yikes: :Yikes: :D :D :D :Yikes: :Yikes: :D :Yikes: :D . And to just keep accelerating like it did....229bhp and still going........ I want one!

Anyone find out what was went wrong with the Ausi S4? He left pretty quickly after it went 'pop'........

·
Registered
228 Posts
That was fun yesterday...
good to meet a couple of others off here.

Just scanned my dyno plot...

My best run for torque was run 4, gave 196 (bare in mind is 4WD),
My best run for BHP was run 3 which gave 221.

From talking to one of the Awesome guys, the S4 blew a turbo - they think.
For everyone who wasnt there, Audi S4, X reg (2001 year I think), gave a loud pop, and kicked out a load of brown smoke from the exhaust, the owner didnt look at all happy, after that it just started making a very non turbo whirring noise, and wasnt giving boost.....now if I could judt get Javamans diesel torque into mine.....

·
Registered
606 Posts
Javaman said:
About what i would have expected from a remapped TDI130. As we all know, it is on the road that it counts, and i'm sure that bucket of torque is very handy.

I was expecting the charged V6's to make a bit more, but assume these are benchmark figures.

I'm glad you all enjoyed the day.

BTW plots & pictures should be posted when Awesome have time to sort them out: http://www.awesome-gti.co.uk/rollingroad.html

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
and ther'll be video clips of one run too......the noise of the big v6's........yummy...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts