Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All those with the AWE stage 2 clutch and LWFW. Does it chatter? I know this is some what of a repost but I did a search and found conflicting info..
Looking to buy on soon..

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
I went with the AWE Stage 2 clutch and OE flywheel. I'm having it replaced today after 30K miles. I'm hesitant to place the blame on AWE/South Bend, but I've been driving manual trannies for over 20 years, and I've never had a clutch go after so few miles before. I'm going back to OE this time around.

Kenny

·
Registered
460 Posts
I had to replace my clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel about 5 months ago. AWE was out of stock when mine went bad so I bought a South Bend stage 3 (?) clutch kit from a group buy here. When the shop tore into my clutch assembly the OEM flywheel was completely toasted as well, so they ordered a Fidanza lightweight single-mass flywheel (it was half the price of an OEM unit).

There was quite a bit of chatter for the first couple of months, but as it has broke in it's gotten better. In fact, it's nearly gone now. According to the folks I talked to, it helps to break it in easy. That is, for the first 500~1000 or so miles as little slip as possible, no full throttle runs, easy shifts with as much rev-matching as possible. No drag launches of racing and slamming it through gears. That was easy for me since it was in the middle of winter anyhow. :lol: YMMV, but it seems to be working for me - it feels and shifts great. You will get more noise, vibration, and chatter (somewhat obviously) because the single-mass flywheel doesn't have the damping effect of the dual-mass flywheel.

Hope that helps,
Don

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so kenny your sayin lwfw are no good overall or just awe.....should I just OE flywheel and aftermarket clutch?

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
I've got the AWE stage 2 w/lwfw. No chatter. If anything, I thought it was a lot closer to the stock-type engagement than I thought it would be - that being a soft engagement over a small amount of pedal travel rather than a quick engagement w/little or no pedal travel. If anything, I would've liked something with a bit quicker pickup, as you could more easily spin this if you're not careful. I did that w/the stock clutch a number of times (4-6?) and that didn't help it's lifetime...

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
ucheckit said:
so kenny your sayin lwfw are no good overall or just awe.....should I just OE flywheel and aftermarket clutch?
I can't speak to the question of LWFWs. I went OE because I wanted to maintain the OE feel. I just heard from my mechanic that the clutch is worn down to the rivets where it meets the flywheel. I don't know if using the OE flywheel contributed to the early demise of my clutch or not. I've contacted AWE and they've requested pictures, which I'll send to them this week.

Stay tuned.

Kenny

·
Registered
5,666 Posts
I have a AWE Stage 2 clutch and LWFW and it chatters like a MOFO. At idle my car sounds like a diesel engine :poke:

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
I've had this on for a little over a year. Not sure why Zach's chatters vs. mine doesn't...

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is there a aftermarket duel mass flywheel? also, what do you guys think of A Sachs clutch and a lwfw?

·
Registered
5,666 Posts
Green_Hornet said:
I've had this on for a little over a year. Not sure why Zach's chatters vs. mine doesn't...
I think it has a lot to do with whether it is balanced or not. Mine may be a bit off, just to be safe if you go with the LWFW just have it balanced at a GOOD shop. I should have................

·
Registered
5,666 Posts
I would think so but it may be a hair off which may make the chattering worse. The only way to keep it from going on 100% is to stick with OEM.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts